behavior of rubber lip plecos when introduced to tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tree_sloth

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Fitchburg, MA
Real Name
jeff aguinaga
Hello. I am fish-cycling a tank with 2 rubber lip plecos. They have been in the tank about 26 hrs. When if at all is it normal for them to come out of hiding (I have many hiding places in the tank -- I can't find either of them except for when 1 of the 2 of them hangs out near an aerator bar out in the open)?
This is my first fish tank, the plecos are my first fish. I know this probably isn't a good practice -- I have moved rocks and a PVC fitting in the tank when I couldn't see them to find them/ see if they were ok. when I lifted whatever they were under/on/in, they darted away and found new hiding places

Also, when do they normally start eating? I attached cucumber to a rock with a rubber band near the middle of the tank and I am going to leave it there tonight.

thank you for answers. do you have any other advice?

INFO:
water temp = 76F
pH = 7.4-7.6 (pH and high pH tests read differently -- so I'm guessing about 7.5)
ammonia/ammonium = 0 ppm
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = 0 ppm

40 gallon tank
EHEIM 2215 canister filter
rena 101 air pump (connected to aerators on left and right side)
EHEIM 125W heater
substrate = /gravel , flourite underneath (<--I'm planning to plant the tank at some point)
4" diameter PVC Y fitting , driftwood (plants attached), rocks

tree_sloth

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Fitchburg, MA
Real Name
jeff aguinaga
*update: I looked at the tank with a flashlight about 1hr after i turned off the lights and they were both hanging out on the glass.
can I move the cucumber closer to them to see if they would go for it or would that probably scare the,m back into hiding?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would highly suggest returning the plecos to the store and doing a fishless cycle. IMO it is not very humane to expose fish to any ammonia, and the ammonia needs to get up there to start the cycle properly. with fishless cycling, you need to do daily water changes to keep the fish healthy and happy, and that prolongs the cycling of your tank.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
i would highly suggest returning the plecos to the store and doing a fishless cycle.
I agree, especially with something like a rubber lip pleco. I had 2, one died a while ago now, but the other is doing fine.

If you do decide to keep them, please make sure you are doing LARGE water changes daily. Mine is still very shy to this day, and I have had him for at least 3 years now. He does not like cucumber, but does eat zucchini, lettuce, algae wafers and pretty much anything else that hits the gravel. I see him out on the glass usually early evening and in the morning. Other than that he is hidden in the back of the tank most of the day, they grow very slowly. I don't think mine has grown more than 1/2" since I got it.

tree_sloth

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Fitchburg, MA
Real Name
jeff aguinaga
yeah i was thinking about adding ammonia to fishless-cycle as opposed to fish-cycling before i put the plecos in.
I'm not going to abandon the fish-cycle at this point though. the tank water read 0.5ppm ammonia this evening (day 3) and I did a 50% water change. then I checked an hour after the water circulated and read 0ppm.
I am trying to hit 0.25-0.5ppm ammonia - then do a water change, and repeat this until i read a stable 0ppm ammonia.
is 0.25-0.5 an ok middle ground (i know 0ppm is ideal for the fish, and some concentration >0.25-0.5 is ideal for the nitrosomonas)?

the plecos didn't eat the cucumber. i can't tell if they ate the algae wafer because it disintegrated, probably not though. i am trying zucchini and lettuce attached to rocks tonight.
thank you

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
my rubberlip has rabies and usually is out all the time but yea most of the time rubber lips are very shy. ive never seen mine eat but he always has a full stomach so i know hes getting food some where. id stick with just an algae wafer. also .25 is where id keep the ammo

tree_sloth

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Fitchburg, MA
Real Name
jeff aguinaga
my rubberlip has rabies and usually is out all the time but yea most of the time rubber lips are very shy. ive never seen mine eat but he always has a full stomach so i know hes getting food some where. id stick with just an algae wafer. also .25 is where id keep the ammo
ok. thank you. did you fish-cycle your tank?
the plecos both come out right when i shut the lights off and hang out in the open

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store