Not disturbing bubble nest during water changes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hey ya'll!

I was wondering if ya'll have any tips and tricks for not destroying bubble nests when doing water changes?

I'm not actually trying to breed (can't speak for my betta though ;) ) but little Cheeto has been working SO hard on his nest (unlike my lazy boy Charlie lol) I hate breaking it up.
I've tried being careful and even tried using an airhose for a vacuum and slowly adding back water but it still pretty much or completely destroys his nest - of course he's never gotten it as big as it is right now, he's been very industious the last few days - will being bigger help it hold together?

On a funny note, Charlie did make a short attempt recently, and instead of using any of the plants I've given him he used the thermomater! Guess he figured it doesn't move around too often :rolleyes:. lol.
And of all the plants I've given Cheeto he prefers the duckweed! Crazy fish! :grinyes:

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
2011_0823 Cheeto Under BubbleNest 1.JPG
He's so happy! Busy busy!

2011_0823 Cheeto - front of bubblenest 1.JPG
front

2011_0823 Cheeto - BubbleNest 2 .JPG
I think this was a little earlier than the first pic, but I don't remember precisley.

And no, he doesn't have fin rot, his fins were eaten a while ago, they are growing back nicely.

2011_0823 Cheeto Under BubbleNest 1.JPG 2011_0823 Cheeto - front of bubblenest 1.JPG 2011_0823 Cheeto - BubbleNest 2 .JPG

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i say just don't worry about it, let it get destroyed. he'll make another one :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i say dont change the water today instead give him a female to play with he'll love it
teigan, :headshake2: maybe do a little reading on betta breeding. you can't just plop a female in willy nilly like that.

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
bettafishmommy i just bread my betta's and had success so i think i know what im doing obviously he's gunna need to get a container for her to parade for lack of a better word

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store