29 Gallon Tall Tank Stocking Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MeghanG

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
South Jersey
I just came home from a 6 day vacation where, unfortunately, my fish were overfed:swear:
My tank is a 29 gallon tall bowfront and has the remaining inhabitants: 2 cory catfish, 2 painted indian fish (sold as painted glass tetras?), 4 red eye tetras, one mickey mouse platy, one african dwarf frog (definitely dwarf), and one fish that was sold to me as an odessa tetra but I'm not convinced it is. It is the biggest fish in the tank and keeps everyone in check! I'm still trying to get a decent picture of it and as soon as I do I will post it.

I was thinking of adding 2 more red eye tetras, 4 cory catfish, 2 or 3 of the mickey mouse platies but I'm not really sure if I would be over stocked or if I should add a different type of fish. I always admire pictures of everyone's tanks that are posted on here so hopefully you can help me (like so many of you have done in the past)!

My tank is cycled and the temp is generally 78 degrees. I have a smaller piece of driftwood, java ferns, some anubias, a banana plant and a moss ball. Looking into more plants as I get my skills up. :drool:

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
That fish^^ looks like a painted skirt tetra. If you can in the future, do not by pained/dyed fish. It is a very cruel process.

MeghanG

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
South Jersey
Guppy Man, Thanks for the fish information! My lfs specifically told me if was not dyed, but it obviously has. My 7 year old niece was with me when I get it and she wouldn't leave without the poor thing! I was looking up the process of how fish are dyed and I can't believe people would put a poor fish through something like that. Btw noticed you are from New Jersey (I'm right outside of Ocean City and have been evacuated) hope you are safe through the storm.

Cradlefan- Just came back from a week in Disney and my ferns, which I purchased before I left are not doing well. I am pretty new to all of this, how should I go about fertilizing them?

Thanks again for both of your help, I really appreciate it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store