Cross-breeding convicts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
I was wondering if anybody had any experience cross-breeding convicts, like lets say a pink convict with a black convict, if so could you please tell me how that turned out and pictures would be great also.

Thanks in advance.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Yes, they are the same species, just a different coloration. When you cross a pink with a striped, the fry will be 100% striped, unless the striped fish has pink background. If you cross two fry together, I believe the odds are 25% pink out of the batch.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
pink X stripe-50-50 each

now if you bred a stripe fry back to the pink ( one of its parents ) you will get 25% pink 75% black

now if you breed the next generation fry back to its parents ( meaning pink fry with stripe parent ) you may get 25% marble 25% pink 50% stripe.

somthing like that, not good with this type of stuff though lol.

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks, for the help, I think I'll just breed the black ones I have and sell/trade the fry for 1 or 2 pink ones and try that.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
pink X stripe-50-50 each

now if you bred a stripe fry back to the pink ( one of its parents ) you will get 25% pink 75% black

now if you breed the next generation fry back to its parents ( meaning pink fry with stripe parent ) you may get 25% marble 25% pink 50% stripe.

somthing like that, not good with this type of stuff though lol.
Stripe is dominant and pink is recessive, so you will not get 50 50. You will, technically* get all striped fish. *If the stripe has pink genes, then there is a chance of getting pink the first time. If you breed any other those fish (pink or stripe) to a pink fish, you will still get striped but with more pink ones.
Marble is much more complicated then stated. People created marbled fish from generations of selective breeding, it's not so simple. In a lot of convicts today, you can get marbles out of no where. Just like you can breed pinks together and get striped fry. It all depends on the background of the parents of that fish. But that's it. :dance2:

Have fun with breeding!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
i have two striped cons..and with each batch i get about 40% pink fry...im guessing both parents have pink in there genetics.

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
After I get to breeding a black and a pink prob in 1-2 months. I will get to you guys with exact numbers on colorations per fish.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
I had a large black male. When bred with my pink longfin female I got around 25% pink and about 10% longfin females. About 5% of the males would have really long fins. I would sometimes get a few marble/calico. When bred with the calico female, I would get about 20% pink and 5-10% calicos. When bred with the black female I would get 100% black.

I separated out the pink and calico from the black because the growth rate was noticeably slower when kept with the black fry. My cull rate was right around 75%. Basically, I kept only the best of the best and fed the rest off to other tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store