sand box sand or pool filter sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Pool filter sand is larger grained, and more uniform. It is WAY easier to rinse...I generally just rinse it in the tank, do a water change, repeat then done...

It also doesn't compact like play sand. Easier for snails etc to burrow in and easier to plant in.

I suspect both come from the same source but out of a different sieve.

If you dont like the look of Pool Filter sand, mix in 1/3 well-rinsed play sand. Works well.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Sand box sand (play sand) is dirtier, dustier, much harder to rinse so as to produce cloud-free water, is not as heavy or uniform - gets picked up easily with vacuuming, tends to clog filter impellers - the list goes on.
PFS is clean - almost rinse-free - a better color - doesn't compact - about the same price as play sand.
PFS is generally white silica specifically geared for (pool) filtration effectiveness - need we say more ?
There's really no comparison - get PFS !

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
The Kwikcrete play sand I'm using rinses clear after three buckets of water. Got it at Lowes for $2.14 per bag. I blend sand and gravel so there are areas of each. To me that looks more natural than pure sand or pure gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store