tadpoles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so we went out and got some tadpoles :) we put them in these plastic dwawers with half water half land. its got a couple of local plants, rocks, gravel and driftwood. ill be feeding them tomatos, crushed fish flakes, and algae pellets probably every other day or every three days depending on how many i can have. the drawer has a bigger foot print then a 10 gallon but not that much bigger. im wondering how many i can safely have without them dieing. i have 2 right now and i wanted to maybe get a couple more. we will keep the frogs if i can find a way to give away my crabs (ideas?). ill post a pic later.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Until they have both sets of legs I wouldn't worry about land. Once they do, give them a way to get out of the water onto land.

Crushed algae wafers sounds like a great plan, I would not feed tomato or flake.

Unless you have a positive ID...you tadpoles could be toad-poles, too!

Just like with fish...water changes and aeration will help

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
they have both sets of legs already. theyre teany tiny. im thinking of changing substrates bc i cant see them very well. in the area i found them i saw green frogs, red frogs, and brown frogs. do you know how many i can keep without them eating eachother? there were atleast 10 tadpoles in this pool or toadpoles. i really wanna keep these now. how many can you keep (adults) in a 10 gallon? a 20 gallon long?

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Could be some type of tree frog tadpole. We get spring peepers in the northeast... They're pretty small...

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
they have both sets of legs already. theyre teany tiny. im thinking of changing substrates bc i cant see them very well. in the area i found them i saw green frogs, red frogs, and brown frogs. do you know how many i can keep without them eating eachother? there were atleast 10 tadpoles in this pool or toadpoles. i really wanna keep these now. how many can you keep (adults) in a 10 gallon? a 20 gallon long?
NEED HELP WITH THIS

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn

can you find the tadpoles?

i just put a little piece of frozen bloodworms to see if they will eat them. i just read an article on them and it said they would.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I would remove the substrate just so it's easier to keep the tank clean and monitor the tadpoles. Sponge filters work great in tadpole tanks if the water is deep enough. How big are the tadpoles? Set your camera to the macro setting and see if you can get a close up pic. They look like Gray Tree Frogs but I could be wrong. Here's a very good care sheet on them. http://www.frogforum.net/content/gray-tree-frog-care-breeding-120/

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
its a pic from my phone i dont have a camera. they are definently tree frogs though. saying that they are tree frogs. how many can i keep in a 20 gallon long? are tree frogs herbivores or omnivores?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store