Would 12 hours of light be too stressful?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Hi everyone. I have yet another question. :shakehead:

I was just wondering if it would be too stressful on my fish (especially my GBR's) to leave the lights on the aquarium for 12 hours? I usually get up around 6, leave the house around 7, but one day a week I won't be at the house until 8, so that may be an issue with feeding. Anyway, was wondering if the GBR would respond unfavorably to having lights on 12 hours a day. Thanks!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I doubt the light on that long would bother the fish but it might lead to algae issues. External lighting other than what comes from ambient sources (windows) is more for the enjoyment of the viewer (you) than the needs of the inhabitants. Why not just put the lights on when you are there? Avoid both the algae and the expense of electricity and wear on the equipment to no purpose.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I'm not sure about GBRs, but my Bolivian Rams hate anything brighter than ambient room light, and even that's too much sometimes. I have a very small, dim light that I rarely turn on because they'll all huddle at the opposite end like I dropped in a piranha or something.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You can get an indoor use timer at a hardware store for less than $10. Then you won't have to worry about turning the lights on and off yourself. It isn't an issue about the fish, you just shouldn't run the lights that long. Go with 8-10 hours max. That's true even if you're growing live plants. If you don't have live plants competing with algae at all, you definitely won't want the excessive algae growth that much light will support.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
The only reason I'm worried about the light when I'll be gone for all day is because when I wake up, I want to feed them, and when I get back home I also want to feed them, and I was under the impression if there is no light and they're in a dark room (which they are) then they simply won't eat in the dark. Am I wrong?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
fish will find food in the dark. they use more than just their eyes to find food. but you don't need to feed them twice a day, once is enough. why not get a light timer and have it turn on about an hour before you get home from work, and then you'll have the whole evening to enjoy your tank and feed them then, then the lights can go off automatically after 8 to 10 hours, once you are in bed. then just ignore the tank in the morning when you are leaving for work.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
The only reason I'm worried about the light when I'll be gone for all day is because when I wake up, I want to feed them, and when I get back home I also want to feed them, and I was under the impression if there is no light and they're in a dark room (which they are) then they simply won't eat in the dark. Am I wrong?
if there is a light in the room there should be plenty of light for the fish to eat.

do what was suggested and get a timer. have it come on when you wake up so you can feed turn off a couple hours later and back on around when you are getting home.

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
Has anyone had poor luck with the mechanical timers? I have a fluorescent light on one, and it flickers like crazy when the timer is turning to 'off'. I'm worried that it's going to blow up or something...

Also, has anyone had comparisons between different digital timers? I have one of these, and am finding it is quite nifty compared to the old-school timers, such as by having different schedules for different days.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well (call me evil) I have had my lights on for 24 hours at a time, 24 on, 24 off, and the fish don't seem to mind. The algae loves it a little too much though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store