What are the right prices??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
I have been looking around on different sites and the prices vary so much, what do you think a good price is , for the following fish:
Black/pink convict fry
Black/pink convict juvinilles
Black/pink convict sexes adults
Black/pink convict proven pair
Zebra Pleco

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
Sorry I accidentally submitted it:

Zebra Pleco Fry
Zebra Pleco juvinilles
Zebra Pleco adults
Zebra Pleco proven pair
BN fry
BN adult
BN proven pair
Fancy guppy fry
Fancy guppy juvinilles

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Your best bet to get started with convicts, would be to find a local fish club. There doubtless will be someone with fry for free or very cheap. The advantage is you should get healthy ones.

The zebra plecos are the whole other end of the spectrum. Start off with albino BN plecos. They are easy to keep and breed and give you some practice with plecos. Then try a less costly fancy pleco(Hypancistrus sp.) before you spend a bundle on zebras. I would only buy them from someone I knew was reputable.

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
I was going to start bg breeding convicts after I got 4 juvinilles, but I also have a pair of fancy guppies and I think one is pregnant, how can I tell? Also I was wondering the prices because I want my hobby to fund itself and I don't want to get ripped off.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
What kind of guppies do you have? If they are common/mixed (unknown parents) guppies, they are not worth a lot, especially if they're from Petco or Petsmart. Best chance is to get guppies from breeders. Females should have a big and box-shaped stomach. You can also see her gravid spot which should be black. As verbal stated, start with BNs before moving to zebras. Zebras cost $100+ per one. Proven breeders are always more than un-proven ones. I've seen proven BN pairs go for $100+ while their fry for $5 each. I'm not sure about the convicts but the ones you listed are common, plus are kind of hard to sell.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Convicts are easy breeders but are all but worthless for resale. LFS are flooded with them from unwanted spawnings in home aquariums and they are not worth anything to serious hobbyists.

Zebra plecos are high dollar value but they have small spawns (5-10 fry) and take more than a year to grow to sellable size. You will need to invest as much as $1000 to get a breeding group and may make that back in 2-3 years. But that doesn't count the food and electricity in between so it won't fund itself ever.

Guppies are too common and although you can produce a lot of them it takes several months to grow them to sellable size and you need to carefully cull them to make sure you are only selling the best of the best. At most they are only worth about $.50 to $1 wholesale.

BN plecos are the best income generating pleco as most LFS will take them at a reasonable price ($2-$5) depending on size and they have frequent and large broods. But keep in mind that it takes 8-10 months of growth to get them to sellable size.

Unless you have a lot of tanks and can produce a lot of fish with little overhead, and have a market for them (local stores, a fish wholesaler, good club auction and swap scene) you should not expect the hobby to pay for itself.

IME the best revenue generating fish are Yellow Labs, Ps. demasoni, and Albino Eureka peacocks. They breed easily, grow quickly, and have good color at small size which makes them attractive to dealers. There is always a market for them with retailers and hobbyists as well.

but you should do it for fun not to make money.

Andy

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
I am doing it for fun, I just wanted to kind of plan out what fish and tanks to get in what order. I have that done already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store