What is this on my driftwood?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I got this driftwood a couple of week ago and just noticed this weird gunk on it a couple of days ago.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
It's hard to tell in the picture. Can you describe it? Algae maybe. I know a white fungus type stuff is somewhat common on newer driftwood and it goes away and does not harm the fish.
It is white so it might be the fungus, would I be able to scrub it off?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's in the wood--so you can scrub off what's on the surface, but it will come back until it uses up it's food source. You can remove the wood, and boil it. That should be enough to kill off the fungus.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It's in the wood--so you can scrub off what's on the surface, but it will come back until it uses up it's food source. You can remove the wood, and boil it. That should be enough to kill off the fungus.
It doesn't usually last long though. Just wipe it down with water changes...couple of weeks it will be done.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Okay I'll try that thanks.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't work out that way for me, but my BN pleco *loved* it. He had another piece of driftwood to rasp on, but he kept coming back to the one with the fungus. Between him and the RCS, it's 99.9% gone, just a few little patches left, mostly in crevices.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
Does it kind of look like snot?

It's probably the same thing my buddy encountered earlier this year. He put a nice piece of mopani wood into his tank, and within a few days the "snot" developed.

For what it's worth, it didn't seem to hurt anything and cleared up on it's own after a few weeks. Just as important, he never saw any changes in pH, nitrates, nitrites, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store