LOL, I care too much about these fish :/ (Basically about GBR shyness)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Hi again everyone! Hope everything's going well in all of your tanks!

As the title alludes to, I care about these fish entirely "too much" hehe. I've been sitting next to my tank all day with my laptop (just ate lunch on a tray table in front of my tank), just in an attempt to get my two German Blue Rams used to me walking around the tank. When I lay on my bed, they forget that I'm here and they come out in the tank with the Harlequin rasboras and swim around like nothings wrong. As soon as I step in the room, however, they get all pale and swim away. Poor fishies. Since I've sat here though, they seem to come out to investigate me a little more, which is good.

Mainly, I'm just worried that they're not going to get enough to eat, and through that worry, I want to make sure that the nitrates in my tank don't get too high from me feeding them too much. The problem is that they're so shy that when I approach the tank to feed them, the rasboras are awaiting like a pack of dogs ready to gobble up anything in their path, while the GBR are in the corners of the tank cowering. Me sitting by the tank all day is my attempt at trying to get them used to me and associate me with food. Or at least not associate me with a predator. Any tips? I'm kinda stuck at the moment. I know these fish are shy but I see them everywhere in tanks and they seem happy as can be. Please help! :)

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
So basically what you're saying is to stop worrying and continue feeding regularly, not worrying if the two rams don't come out to eat?

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
as soon as they figure out that food appears after you show up they will be up and looking for you all the time

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How long have you had them? Unless you cannot visibly see them eat for an extended period of time (well over a week) then I wouldn't be too stressed over it...fish can go pretty long without eating and you never know what exactly they may be finding when you aren't looking either.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
I brought them home on Friday afternoon and it's now Monday afternoon, so I guess it hasn't been too long? I just don't want these little guys to starve.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Furthermore, if these two rams (they're young) turn out to be two males, will that lead to problems in the tank?

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
WOO! One of the rams has eaten! Not sure if the other one was too, but I definitely saw one of them take flakes. He didn't realize how close I was to the tank so when I moved, he jumped, but he kept eating. I'm relieved. I'm assuming 1 inch is too small to sex, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store