My snails reproduced!! Anyone want any snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kam376

Registered Member
Aug 29, 2011
I bought 2 snails from Petco, a blue one and a brown striped one. We couldn't decide between the two, so the girl suggested we get both, leaving out the detail that in a couple months we would have 50 more! They keep reproducing! She said our options are to give half of them back to the store, or kill them. My niece is going to take one baby as a pet, so that leaves us with like 49. I'm hoping to find something that would like some snails so we can give them homes. Please let me know if you are interested, and how I would go about shipping them safely! I'm located in central NJ if anyone is nearby and would like some snails.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What kind of snails? Mystery snails? Those are the only ones I can recall seeing in a Petco, so to prevent future clutches from hatching, get to doing your weekly routine maintenance. Mystery snails lay their eggs above the water line, so, they should be easily visible during your weekly maintenance, and can be removed. They need about 2.5 gallons worth of space apiece as adults, so, they'll end up self regulating at some point, to your tank's detriment.

ou could post a for sale/free but you pay shipping thread on the classifieds to get rid of them as well.

If they're not mystery snails, no one will be able to tell you anything useful without knowing what kind of snail it is.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
blue and brown striped says mystery/apple snails to me, and you 'lucked' out, lol, with getting a male and female. these snails require both genders to reproduce. as mentioned, keep checking under the top rim of your tank for egg clutches and just scrape them off with a spoon, toss them in a ziploc, and freeze them before tossing the ziploc in the garbage. the freezing ensures the baby snails in the clutch are dead and won't hatch out.

you could trade them in to a store for store credit (smaller mom n pop style stores will be more likely to do this than the big box stores), or you could give them away.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe on the male/female acquisition part. They could both be female. It seems that mystery snail females can hold on to sperm for months before laying eggs.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
ah yes, that could be a possibility as well, but when the OP mentioned 'leaving out the detail that in a couple months we would have 50 more', that sounded to me like they bred in the home tank after being bought.

kam376

Registered Member
Aug 29, 2011
Yes they bred after I got them. I thought maybe they were just pond snails, and are hermaphroditic. But I have no idea! I can try to post a pic here if that would help. We do take out the egg clutches whenever we see them. Unfortunately we didn't know to look for them until it was too late.

tiffi326

AC Members
Oct 23, 2011
How much is shipping? are they all diff colors or the same? any pics? I may want some..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store