Weather Loach vs Kuhli Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
How can I tell the difference between weather loaches and kuhli loaches? specifically black kuhlis? A couple weeks ago I bought 5 loaches from a tank marked kuhli loaches, but the LFS employee said they were weather loaches. Directly beneath the tank marked kuhli loaches, they had a tank marked weather loaches.

If I run a google image search for black kuhli loaches, a lot of the pictures (not of the striped ones) look just like my loaches. Given that these 2 species have different requirements, I would like to know which I have for sure.

Any way to tell the difference other than the adult size?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks, here is the thing. 3 of mine have the same pattern as the bottom picture, they are also fatter. The other 2 are thinner and resemble the top picture more, although they are paler looking. If I had a faster camera I would attempt some pictures, I may still try to get some.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There is a huge difference in size, as well. Juvenile weather loaches are easily as big as an adult kuhli.

Look at the whiskers--kuhli loaches have a small fringe with 4-6 tendrils, weather loaches have longer 'whiskers' in addition to having more of them. Black kuhli's don't have any freckling or spotting to their color, they fade from dark on top to a paler underbelly.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
There is a huge difference in size, as well. Juvenile weather loaches are easily as big as an adult kuhli.
I disagree with this... I have seen some Dojo's the same size as Kuhlis, 2 unique differences. The Wiskers (as mentioned) and the GREY color. Kuhlis are not grey.

Also the Fin on the back of the Dojo is more pronounced than then one on the Kuhlis.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Thanks, here is the thing. 3 of mine have the same pattern as the bottom picture, they are also fatter.
I know that some say these need 3-4 counterparts but most people that I have talked to in the forums about Dojos seem to believe that 1 of these are OK to keep. They get pretty long, and boy do they bury themselves, so a long tank might be required if you housing more than 1.

Kuhli King

Registered Member
Jul 30, 2013
I've seen a weather loach top a foot. It's a pretty significant size difference. Black kuhlis can also be a pinkish shade. If it has gray and stripes it might be a sumo loach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store