Ugh, this temperature business is really starting to bother me!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
I feel like every site I turn to I find a different temperature I should be keeping my tank at.

Is it unwise to keep the following stock of fish in an aquarium kept at 80 degrees F?

2 x Blue Rams
8 x Harlequin rasboras
6 x Corydora cats
1 x Dwarf Gourami

I know the rams are a warmer water fish, but many are saying to warm it up to more than 80. I'm just so confused. All I want is a temperature that it would be wise to keep these four different types of fish in my tank... Thanks for helping out a confused hobbyist! :wall:

EDIT: THIS JUST IN:: Spoke to LFS today and they told me the two rams I bought were tank-raised and are NOT German Blue Rams, but are merely "Blue Rams". Not sure if this makes a difference...

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
80 is fine for those.

and GBRs are from south america... "German" has nothing to do with where it was born. lol... wild caught in germany!

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Well, yes I know that, but I thought there was a difference between wild caught "Blue Rams" and "German Blue Rams". GBR being hardier, and selectively bred in Germany for more color, etc. Am I wrong?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Well, except that most are now from farms in Asia and Florida. Still M. ramirezi but not wild caught nor German by any standards...

One LFS near my hometown imports blue rams from Europe, which could actually be Germany OR Czech Republic since I never really asked. I guess that the Czech will say they were the first to selectively breed blue rams, not the Germans. But anyways, the owner was very proud to let me know that he never imports from Asia anymore and the price tag definitely showed. My "pair" cost 40 bucks.

They are definitely hardier IME but I would never assume anything labeled as a German Blue Ram is actually from Germany. Most just use it as a substitute common name for all blue rams, unfortunately. Tank raised is far preferred over imports from Asia though. Most likely it was local too so they should be well adapted to your conditions.

Blue rams prefer a little higher temp, more in the 80-82F range but I never had issues as low as 80F. Like it was mentioned in your other thread not all Corydoras species can handle higher temps either. Which ones were you getting?

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
I'm not sure which to get. Which would be ok around 80F? I was thinkking pandas, but if that's unsuitable then I'll change which ones I want.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Sterbais are one of the better ones at high temps.

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
I have kept Panda and Albino Corys at 79 degrees F and they seemed to act normal...active, scavenging, darting to the surface for a gulp of air, etc. I know you are shooting for 80-82 so my point is, I'm pretty sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they are native to a bit cooler temps. I think that farm raised fish can be pretty adaptable to someones individual tank conditions...as long as they remain constant, stable and within the hobby norms so the fish have a chance to adapt/acclimate to them. Hope this helps.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Thank you! I think I'm going to go with the Albino/Bronze cory.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Sterbais are one of the better ones at high temps.
+1

also +1 on the aeneus

i usually keep all my tanks with rams/angels/discus in them at 82-86 as that is there peak activity level ime

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store