New fish bloated after power outage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I picked up a breeding pair of Telmatochromis Temporalis "shell" on 8/24 and they were healthy but never really settled in. I checked on them and tried to feed them daily and noticed nothing unusual except not eating after a few days. I was without power from 8am sun to 4am mon but I had a generator running the filters for most of that time. Monday morning when I checked the female was bloated. They have not eaten since I got them. I tried NLS cichlid, NLS Thera A, NLS garlic flakes and frozen blood worms, leftover food removed after several hours.

pH - 8.3
KH - 11
GH - 20
TDS - ~600
Temp - 76
Ammonia - was .25 before a WC yesterday, every other day and today it is 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 before WC, 0 now

20g long
colorquartz T grade white sand
Moss rocks
boiled & scrubbed PVC elbows
Eheim 2213
Bubbler

Water hardened with Cichlid salt buffer and espom salts.

Her scales are not protruding like is typical of dropsy and she obviously is not constipated, what else could it be? I am sure she is stressed, new home with no other fish (other fish swimming around make shell dwellers feel safer), not eating, some ammonia, WCs, power outage....it's a lot for a little fish in less than a week.

100_5847.JPG 100_5846.JPG 100_5845.JPG

Last edited:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wow, poor girl! I am not sure could be causing it, but I would probably be dosing with Kanamycin (first choice) or Maracyn 2 (second choice). Definitely looks like some kind of internal bacterial infection judging from the acuteness of the symptoms.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks. Could I use Maracyn Plus instead?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Neither one has eaten. They lay on the bottom like that often, kinda like a mudskipper/goby pose, or on a rock so I believe that is normal for them. She moves around normal, not very active but neither of them are very active. They have dug lots of pits though so I think that's a good sign.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Oh? Doing a quick search of profiles I can't find anything about that (doesn't seem like any of the pics or descriptions indicate that) but if you've observed that behavior before then it might not be anything to worry about.

Sorry, I see now that you've mentioned them not eating several times. A few sites I looked at mentioned they are aufwuchs grazers, I wonder if they are uncomfortable being in such a sterile tank? (Just judging from the perfect white sand and spotless PVC.)

You could try culturing some algae for them, they might appreciate it, and it would definitely be clean and contaminant free...a tub of aquarium water placed in full sun, add rocks and presto :) Or you could take some algae covered rocks from other tanks, if you feel ok about doing that. I've never had a problem with this method.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Some pictures showing them in the pose.

I read about it somewhere too, "holding leaves", just can't remember where it was.

Thanks for the tip about growing some algae, I'll . It a QT tank that is why it is "sterile". :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sorry, I saw those pics too of them hugging the bottom, but still off the ground. None like the pic you show where she is laying flat on her side - but if she is still getting up and around, then that's encouraging.

I should have figured that was a QT, but since you got a breeding pair, I thought perhaps it was a breeding setup :)

How much Epsom salt have you got in the tank already, do you think? It might not hurt to add a bit more (I usually dissolve it in warm water first) unless the concentration is already high. I usually dose 1 teaspoon per 3 gallons with bloated fish. Yours almost looks egg bound, but given the acclimation and power outage issues I doubt this is what you're experiencing.

Please let us know how it works out. They're beautiful fish, I hope they get better!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I see what you're saying now. Yeah her big belly makes the goby pose a little awkward. She definitely moves around but that is her favorite spot. I was thinking maybe egg bound too because I have seen photos of these female with larger then normal bellies before breeding just not this large. I have about 2 tbps in there (probably only 17g of actual water) so it is already pretty high. Thanks helping me out Nicole!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sure thing :) I'm really hoping for a swift recovery! You never know, egg bound could be all it is...after all, they were sold to you as a breeding pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store