petsmart take fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
I have a 75 full of orange pseudo zebras that I want to get rid of and was wondering if anyone knows if Petsmart can or will trade me. We have an actual good one one near me and I deal with them on occasion for livestock and plants. It would be great if I could get credit because I'm getting ready to plant my 125. So if anyone knows store policy or has dealings with them let me know please.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
It amazes me that being so near all the fish farms that there arent better FW stores in Orlando. I figured that Petsmart wouldnt but thought I'd throw it out there.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Big box stores unfortunately don't work that way. With that said though...I have known Petco to take some fish in for adoption purposes only. They won't give you store credit or exchanges though.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
alot of LFS's won't give you any sort of compensation worth your time unless you know the people in charge of trade-ins. they're there to run a business. you're better off listing fish on craigslist and charging a "rehoming fee" and the you can also demand pics of the buyers' current setups and make sure your fish go to decent homes

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Big box stores won't take them in. We have a store by us that used to give store credit, now they just take it as a adoption then sell them for full price or a inflated home raised price. You would be amazed how much they sell the overgrown plecos for.

Your best bet is the small mom and pop places. As long as it's a fish they can turn around a lot of them will work with you. I traded in a german blue ram that was getting bullied by my other GBR for a YoYo loach for my dads tank.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
all local fish stores in my area will take donated fish. One will even give you half the price you bought it at if it was from them. One guy at petsmart said he himself takes donated fish if he is able to.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I guess I have been lucky. My go to LFS just gave me a dollar a head for run of the mill swordtail fry that i just couldn't handle in my 20L anymore. Like 30 of them. Wayyyy more than I expected.

One of the local Petco's here will take them as well on an adoption basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store