135 gal journal. starting off right!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
so i figured i'd start this thread off with a bang. the first creature to swim in my new tank is... me. this journal will be slow and possibly considered a necro'd thread as i keep it progressing, but i'm just a broke man with an expensive hobby!

but on a serious note, i had help getting in and out so no weird stress was put on the tank.

so far i only have hardware, no hard-set fish plans. the hardware is:

Eheim Jager Submersible Aquarium Heater 300 watt
AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon
Emperor 400 Pro Series Bio-wheel Power Filter - Up to 90 gallon, Rite Size "E"

I'm still trying to decide on a substrate. I want plants, but I'm 100% set on getting loaches/botias, so i'm not sure the sand covered dirt substrate will work... since they like to shove their cute little noses in it.

I want a powerhead to ensure the water moves from one side to the other, and i may throw a sump in the mix to hide the rest of the hardware... but money is an issue and determines when i get to set this tank up.

and i still need lighting.

so here's the start to my first journal. i got Prime and the API master test kit, since many of you are so fond of both of these. btw... prime seems infinitely better than the other conditioners... but t smells like raw sewage. it's gross lol

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Nice!! I thought about taking a swim in my 150 too!! It;s so tall though....gave me a chuckle this am!!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
You could probably find some good bargains on craigs list for most of what you would need for a sump.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
well, this was nice timing. a sump just came up on craigslist. "rated for tanks up to 175 gallons. Can also come with a self priming over flow box(double drop)"

I figured i'd just use a 55g or something... are there any benefits to this funky sump? the seller has no price listed, and he's asking for offers

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
so here's the start to my first journal. i got Prime and the API master test kit, since many of you are so fond of both of these. btw... prime seems infinitely better than the other conditioners... but t smells like raw sewage. it's gross lol
Well, don't sniff it! :hitting:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
NECRO TIME!

I found a deal on Craigslist that i could not pass up. So I finally got some fish! I stole bio-balls from my 29, and squeezed the sponge into the new filters. API says ammonia and nitrites are still zero in both tanks after 3 hours. (I imagine it will take a while for the PPMs to get high and readable in the 135g, even with no bacteria) I'm mentally prepared to perform many water changes.

So the stock that i got:
(ALL FOR $15 BUCKS!)
2 jack dempseys (one is very light colored)
2 firemouths
1 green severum
1 salvini

now the ones i'm not very sure of...
2 oscars that are a little larger than the others.

The lady who "rehoming feed" them to me said they were all between 6-8 months old. They all get along swimmingly, and even school sometimes. As they mature, though, I know their temperaments will change, but I guess i'll pick out the meanies as they get mean. They're all happy atm =)

oh, and my Aquaclear has a crack in it so i replaced it with a penguin biowheel 200 for the time being...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I missed the beginning of this but..I agree those Os are gonna cause trouble, maybe the salvini too. Still some cute cichlids! BTW, firemouths are the wimps of the group, you may need a back up plan.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
well, I'm not surprised that you foresee problems with this stocking. I have no problems getting rid of the O's. I've never been a big fan of the fish that every non-aquarist wants and/or has owned for a few months to a year. But, i must admit, their personalities are making me like them more, even in these few hours. they already jump out of the water to try to snatch the pellet i'm holding >.<

The salvini I'd hate to lose because he looks GREAT! With every fish I'm interested in, it seems the general public doesn't like it. I'm fine with this, but it's a bonus when they like my fish lol. I still don't see how they don't think my tiger barbs are absolutely beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store