fire bellied toads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so i might have to rethink keeping my tree frogs bc of complications with feeding them. if they dont eat by saturday ill be switching to fire bellied toads. i have a couple question though.
can i use sand or grave l(natural from outside) as a substrate?
how many could i keep in a 20 gallon long?
what all can they eat?
at full grown can they eat adult crickets?
can they climb plants or walls?
that's it for now but i do need more info so plz share experiences or knowledge you have on them!
thanks
oh i also might keep mudskippers but i dont know where i could get them.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
mudskippers won't work with them, mudskippers require brackish water and FBT's don't.

I reccomend that you do some reading on your own first, I'd read more before rushing into buying a pet. Look into paludarium construction, you will NOT be able to get away with all land and a water dish, or all water and a floating island.

As for substrate, just go out and spend the money on pool filter sand for the water substrate. I *think* coco fibers are good for the land substrate, just try not to mix it into the water.

I fed them mealworms, but crickets are better nutrition wise.

I'm thinking maybe 3-4 fbts for the 20g long.

Hopefully that got you started, you REALLY need to research on your own first, a quick google is not enough. Hopefully some other people on here can give some better advice, you should check out some of the FBT threads on here too. Razz has an awesome one, and there's plenty of other great builds on the site.

I'm building a palu of my own in the coming weeks, keep an eye on my youtube channel as I'll be uploading step by step how to build your own paludarium. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/TouchdownLegend (shameless plug ftw)

EDIT: Don't bump your own post after only an hour, it's considered polite to wait at least a day. If you have patience then I'm sure plenty of people will reply, but you can't expect people to be at your beck and call. Also, instead of constantly bumping you should try to do at least SOME research on your own....

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
mudskippers won't work with them, mudskippers require brackish water and FBT's don't.
didnt say i was keeping them together i was thinking of one or the other.

I reccomend that you do some reading on your own first, I'd read more before rushing into buying a pet. Look into paludarium construction, you will NOT be able to get away with all land and a water dish, or all water and a floating island.
i always do excessive research before going out and buying something. ive made a paludarium before for my crabs.

As for substrate, just go out and spend the money on pool filter sand for the water substrate. I *think* coco fibers are good for the land substrate, just try not to mix it into the water.
would haveing sand only suffice?

I fed them mealworms, but crickets are better nutrition wise.
i'll probably feed both with calcium once a week.

I'm thinking maybe 3-4 fbts for the 20g long.
ill do 4 then.

Hopefully that got you started, you REALLY need to research on your own first, a quick google is not enough. Hopefully some other people on here can give some better advice, you should check out some of the FBT threads on here too. Razz has an awesome one, and there's plenty of other great builds on the site.
again i always do research.

I'm building a palu of my own in the coming weeks, keep an eye on my youtube channel as I'll be uploading step by step how to build your own paludarium. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/TouchdownLegend (shameless plug ftw)

EDIT: Don't bump your own post after only an hour, it's considered polite to wait at least a day. If you have patience then I'm sure plenty of people will reply, but you can't expect people to be at your beck and call. Also, instead of constantly bumping you should try to do at least SOME research on your own....
did i say bump i though i said anybody? and again i do research. im not gonna run out and buy something bring it home and set the tank up then.
im in red

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Saying "Anybody?" is still a bump....

Anyways, you're going to want to feed them more than once a week, I did it every other day. Make sure that you place the food RIGHT in front of them, mine were kinda derpy when it came to getting food.

I personally think it's best for them to have a divided tank (going longways, more shore is better) using a silliconed plexi-glass divider. It's really not that expensive for substrate, if you want to enjoy keeping the frogs then you should definitely not have JUST sand. It's not a requirement, but live plants can make the tank really interesting, and add to the joy of keeping a set-up IMHO.

Tank wise, make sure that you have some filtration going in the tank, and plenty of hides for each frog. Cork Bark works great, I found that mine liked to use the sloped cork holes, if I buried the tops under substrate so that only the entrance is showing. Make sure that they have things to grab ahold of in the water, some floating plants or some driftwood sticking out of the water work fine.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I said I'm going to dust thim with calcium once a week. I'm definently planting the tank both in the water and on the land.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
AAF, if you don't mind me asking, where have you looked for info on keeping frogs of any kind?
"can i use sand or grave l(natural from outside) as a substrate?"
No, bringing substraight from the wild inside is not a good idea. Not only could just about anything be living it it but chemicals are a major concern with frogs.
"how many could i keep in a 20 gallon long?"
I would say no more than 4
"what all can they eat?"
Crickets, mealworms, waxworms and maybe flightless fruitflies
"at full grown can they eat adult crickets?"
It depends. A large healthy adult frog can handle a large cricket but remember, just because they can doesn't mean they should... I would stick with small crickets.
"can they climb plants or walls?"
Yes. They can and will try to escape. I have lost my fair share of frogs (I had no clue how they were getting out) due to them climing up the glass and/or plants. Also, when they get out, they can travel a long distance. Once, I had one get out upstairs and go all the way down the hall, down the stairs and then back down another hall and end up in the downstairs bathroom... I suspect my dog had something to do with that though.

One thing that I can't go without asking... What do you plan to do with the frogs you already have?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
a couple of sites ive been looking at one was frogland. i would be releaseing the frogs i have back where i found the tadpoles. i might not release them though. im going to move them to a different container to watch them better. would sand be ok? the kind you buy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store