ABN breeding tips/questions!:)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hey guys,

Wanted to know if there are any of you guys out there that have successfully bred ABNs, as I'm not sure why they aren't breeding. Maybe they are, but I'm not sure.

So, I have them in a 72G (5" female ABN and 4.5" male ABN), there is a giant 2ftX2ftX1.5ft piece of DW in there with over 16 holes big enough for the ABNs to fit, so far, I have seen the male and female enter the holes, but the male keeps ditching her, is that normal, as i thought the male protects the eggs?

anyway, do they breed better alone? i can put them in a 20G by themselves

any tips? suggestions?

have slate, so i can make caves quickly

temp: 84F
parms
pH-7.4
ammonia-0ppm
nitrates-10ppm
nitrite-0ppm

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
My bristlenoses preferred pleco caves over driftwood. They did not breed until I added caves for them. It has to be small caves where it looks like only one bristlenose can fit in the opening. It has to also have a closed back with only one way to get out. What are you feeding them? I switched off feeding bloodworms, wafers, and vegetables to get them breeding. They preferred water flow so I would face the cave towards the filter. They would always breed in that cave even though I had 3 other caves. I had mine in a community tank but in my opinion, they're better off in their own tank so the fry are safe.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
They seem to like small holes/caves for breeding. My males tend to have a favorite cave and hang out their primarily. The females seem to move around more.

I think the pair in the 20 gallon is probably the best bet for breeding. It possible I would give them options of dritwood and caves. You might drop the temperature a little(gradually to hit 78-80) and do lots of water changes and I think you should get a spawn pretty soon.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Thanks guys!:):);)

WELL, mine are currently eating the following mixed up, so multiple things in the same feedings...............

frozen blood worms
frozen brine shrimp
freeze dried blood worms
freeze dried tubifex worms
freeze dried brine shrimp
freeze dried krill
algae wafers
Lots of different Veggies
beef heart
beef flake
tetra flakes

i think that is a lot of variety.......lol;)

will try the separate tank plan, I will make some caves asap with sealant and slate

so, they should be a tight squeeze, correct?

i will try to make the hole inside 2"X2"X10"? or 3"X2"X8"

thx

really helped;)
keep them coming:)

okay, for WCs, i can do lots, but how much, any precise ones, or just any

i can 15% daily or probably 25% daily too

thx

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I found the cave size they like best has a 1 1/4" opening. At least for my fish.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
okay, my female is huge,.............LOL, and my male is almost the same, he is like 4.5"X1.25" and she is like 5"X1.5"

I will make it 1.5"(high), 2"(wide), and 8"(deep)

any tips for cutting it

i have a 16X16 piece and a 12X12 piece
in inches

my electric saw(the rotating one) doesn't have a blade for slate, i can buy one, but i don't want to pay like $10 for just a cave, I will attempt the crack method

put a few nails in a line for ur dimensions
crack it?

i think that should work;)

any other suggestions;)
thx

do u think they will breed in the same tank as a breeding pair of angels, just temporary.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I found the cave size they like best has a 1 1/4" opening. At least for my fish.
Yep. Mine like the 1" ones where it's hard to see the back where the eggs would be. They're just a pain when you want to take out the males and he refuses to let go of the cave.
I think the angels will eat any fry that swims out of the cave.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
okay, then, I will change it up;)

thx;)

And any tips/suggestions for feeding the fry?

im off to make the caves.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I usually wait a 2 weeks for the fry to get big in their cave. After 2 weeks, I take them out to their own 10 gallon and feed wafers or soft vegetables.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
thx;)

wow, guys

i can't find the blade for tile for my electric ryobi rotating saw, and im using a regular manual wood saw to cut this

it took 45 min to cut just 1/2 the cave.................................

doing rest tomorrow

just need two more 2"X8" pieces, or should I make it 2X10"?

i think bigger is better???

thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store