atlantic long tenacle anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishman2000

AC Members
Feb 14, 2004
new york
Visit site
recently i used copper meds in my tank for ich so i had to remove my star and 2 anemones well one anemone was on the front glass and when i pulled it off with the net there was what looked like a layer of skin that didnt wanna come now under him looks like intestines or something is it doomed? what can i do

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Probably not too much. Anemones are pretty sensative to a torn foot and being moved from their tank. If all else is well lights, water quality etc it might recover but, there isn't very much you can do for it. In the future I'd reccomend a couple of things not trying to flam just help. 1st set up a hospital tank and treat sick fish there they can take the move a lot better than your inverts. 2nd if for some reason you do have to remove an anemone use a credit card to gently slide under it's foot that should make it seperate from the rock or glass. I would however, never attempt to move an anemone except under the most dire of circumstances and they really don' t do well in a non-matured tank. One more little side issue you'll probably have a real hard time getting all the copper out of your tank. I'd do a 100% water change and then wait about a week a test for copper it has a tendancy to get caught up in live rock,sand etc. Very small amounts of it will kill inverts.
hth
chris

fishman2000

AC Members
Feb 14, 2004
new york
Visit site
ok thanks i know now to use a credit card didnt think of it before i dont have any live rock and my inverts are not going back in the fo tank oh btw my other tank is cycled and has been for 8 months

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Do you have enough light for them in your other tank? They need pretty bright lights either metal halide by itself or a power compac unit or something like that.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Anemones also reproduce by basel laceration (pieces of them get torn off and then regenerates into a complete animal, most commonly seen with the Aiptasia), but this only occurs under optimal conditions.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Originally posted by Gealcath
Anemones also reproduce by basel laceration (pieces of them get torn off and then regenerates into a complete animal, most commonly seen with the Aiptasia), but this only occurs under optimal conditions.
Oh great :rolleyes:

So the next time I chop up an aptaisia hoping to kill it (and help feed the shrimp) I have to consider that the better I do at overall tank maintenance, the more likely it is that I will be helping the beast to reproduce!!!

I learn the weirdest things on this forum :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store