Help . . . Nudibranch (or Slug) ID and Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spiker_man

Registered Member
Dec 10, 2006
Was checking out my reef tank like I do every evening and saw what looked like a piece of dying coral on some live rock. Looked closer and saw that it was moving. Dang . . . I've got a nudibranch (or maybe some type of slug). Thought it would be so easy to identify . . . I didn't realize how many there are. Any one have any experience with them? What do they eat?

Here's some background on my tank. It's been up and running for almost 2 years. I've got live rock, inverts, fish, etc. Evidently he (or she) hitch-hiked in on some live rock or coral. I haven't added any live rock or corals to the tank in about 3-4 months. Everything I've read says that nudibranchs are short-lived and will probably starve in an aquarium. That may be so, but this thing had to come from somewhere and she's definitely been in the tank for a while. She doesn't look like she's starving to me. So what is she eating???

As the image shows, she's white with small bumpy protrusions. She's about 2-3" long and maybe 1/2-3/4" of an inch wide.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nudibranch-3.jpg

nudibranch-2.jpg

nudibranch-3.jpg nudibranch-2.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
yes that's a nudi.. dunno if that's a sponge eater or a coral eater.. it's not a lettuce nudi or bhergia..those are the two i'd only let in my tank
take it out anyways.
When in doubt, take it out

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I think you're right.. found this excerpt about them:
"It was fascinating to see them lay eggs, have them hatch and then observe the babies crawling on the glass. The fascination ended when my largest soft coral started to decline and then completely disappeared"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store