Conskis 3rd attempt at a Solana Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Nice to be back, lets hope round 3 goes better then the first two :headshake2:

Day`1 (not gonna type alot im beat)

The rock which we got from bulkreefsupply is 40 pounds of normal dry rock and then 10 pounds of tonga!either way look at the stuff is on another level of porous from my old crappy rock

It came last week but the buddy helping me out has been busy and i have been to with school and such.

I set up a little work bench and we began with PVC and a drill. After an or so of figuring out the way i wanted it. its not finished but this is what we think it will look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydjuSgUBIM

We then set up a biocube in a different room with the ATI over it and did the transfer hoping that everything lives in there. Filled the solana up with fresh water and 3 gallons of Vinegar running through it and all the equipment for a couple days to clean it out. then ill do a rinse cycle and add the rock.

hope to update again on tuesday or later in the week when we get the rest done. Enjoy sorry theres not much to it right now

3vo 93 184.jpg 3vo 93 189.jpg 3vo 93 192.jpg

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
[yt]bydjuSgUBIM[/yt]

Looks like a sweet rock formation that will be perfect in your solana!

Am I reading that right? Vinegar and water in it.. is the sand still in it as well? Are you going to toss out all the sand? I am confused from your pictures.. I am assuming the picture of your solana is just showing that it was empty, it isn't a picture of you running vinegar since the picture shows the water 1/2 full.

Regardless... nice to see you back at it! Keep the posts coming! I really enjoy watching your progress. :cheers:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Good to see you back. I used BRS as well and it is nice rock. What kind of corals are you thinking about placing on the tonga? I would angle the branches out as much as you can without touching the glass. This will give you more light over the branch and give you a few more placement options. An encrusting coral like a monti would look sweet covering a branch.

Little confused on the sand/vinegar thing as well.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Good to see you back. I used BRS as well and it is nice rock. What kind of corals are you thinking about placing on the tonga? I would angle the branches out as much as you can without touching the glass. This will give you more light over the branch and give you a few more placement options. An encrusting coral like a monti would look sweet covering a branch.

Little confused on the sand/vinegar thing as well.
To answer both your questions yes i just felt like I needed an action shot in there haha. The sand was taken out and tank drained and then filled back up with fw and 3 gallons of vinegar.

Greech I might one up ya on the monti idea( although I do have a lot) and use a chalice coral. Me and the kid I've been doing this with have been amaasing a pretty impressive collection of well known name brand chalices. Might use one of those!

Today I got the rest of the sand I could out and started rinising some new sand. Were aiming for Tuesday for another go.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
The main goal of this tank is to .. well besides having a healthy disease free tank is to finally get the corals ace sent me like 2 years ago back into my.tank.

Ahh I can't wait to see the rock in the water

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
good luck hope to see it up and running soon

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Pics!!! Take LOTS of pics!! This place is so dead lately.. even pics of an empty tank in progress is better than nothing. ;) How many corals that I sent you are still alive? Of the ones that are still alive, are any of them "colonies" yet?

My 75G tank is almost empty now.. took out 2 more aiptasia infested rocks today after chiseling some corals off. Only 2 more rocks left in my 75G tank. It is a sloooooooow rebuild process for me, talking almost 2 years now. LOL. I have been more focused on my "simple" tank, the 55G that just has an algae scrubber on it for filtration. No controller, top off, just a couple pumps, powerheads, and heater, and it is doing great.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'm gonna watch this one from the start this time. Good luck!

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
A very interesting rock formation you have there. I wonder how it will look in the water...;)

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
A very interesting rock formation you have there. I wonder how it will look in the water...;)
Thanks dieing to know myself. Could be completely different from what it looks like dry.

yeah i found myself drifting away from the hobby completly for a bit.. didnt help that this forum has been as bare as bones.

Sunday is the day we finish everything else. Nothing to really update until then to be honest, sorry folks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store