Maracyn.....troubles....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noble

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
I'm currently treating my whole tank with maracyn as my school of neons have got fin rot and some fungus. 2-4 out of the 10 have it the rest seem ok but i thought i should do the whole tank to be safe. the tank also has 2 coral blue gouramis and a bristlenose plec.

So far the fungus is slowly clearing its day 3 of treatment. on the first day one of my neons died he was verry skinny and sick looking so i thought it was just his time to go.

Now my female gourmi is acting verry strange. it lays on its side on the bottom of the tank gasping and looks like its dying but every now and then she gets up swims around goes to the surface and takes some air and goes back and lays down. All my other fish are acting normal except her. She was getting chased every now and then by the male but theres plenty of places for her to hide from him and she has been fine for the past month or so shes been in there.

I have now put here in a container with an airstone and some plants as the male was nipping at her and also to see if it was the maracyn doing it to her.

any ideas why this is happaning?

Im dosing the tank daily with 1 and a half packets of maracyn as the directions state.
all my other parameters are in check.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I know it's been awhile, but is she still acting strangely? I'll try to find something for you.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Gouramis are labyrinth fishes. They need air, from the surface, to live. Isolating it in a large enough container, with an air stone is a good idea.

Since you are dosing an antibiotic, continue treating the tank as the instructions say. Stopping early will cause more issues later on.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Does she have any other symptoms? Is she having trouble swimming? Is her poop different than usual? No growths on her whatsoever? Is she eating like she used to, or at all? What are the water parameters in the tank? Is she new to the tank, or has she been there a while?

So far, it sounds like swim bladder disease, but I can't be sure. Some other types of disease will cause loss of equilibrium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store