Pond noob seeks help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Ok well I have kept aquariums for years and thought it was time to step outside for a change and try my first pond.

My idea is to build an above ground pond using essentially concrete blocks of some sort. Stacked 2 feet high and then drape a pond liner inside. The fact that I think it should be easy makes me think I am doing something wrong.

Please let me know what you think and share your insights. I promise plenty of photos.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Seasonal pond? Or do you live in an area that doesn't freeze at all during winter? If you want it year round and you get cold weather, you have to dig down below the frost line... Not sure what kind of concrete blocks or how you intend to stack them, but water pressure will be pretty heavy. Would imagine digging a trench for the first blocks to anchor them might be a good idea too. maybe rebar down through the blocks every so often to help keep the sides steady?

I've never done above ground - only below ground, and that's been an interesting process. :) A learning curve involved for sure, even after all the research I did first. Have had a few disasters along the way, but recovered from them, and have found that minnows are surprisingly sturdy little fish. They've been prolific even through the crazy things that pond has gone through.

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Well I live in Sacramento CA so we don’t get that cold of winters so I am not as much worried about freezing as I am about the water getting too hot.

I want to use something like standard Concrete Garden Wall Blocks. Even then I am not sure if I would need to use some kind of cement or if I can just stack them. I also thought about building a frame out of 2x4's lined with plywood. I have done similar projects to make stands for my aquariums but have never made anything that would be left outside. I don’t have much expertise treating wood for outdoor use.

I rent so ideally I want something that is not very permanent. Something I can disassemble with relative ease. Which is why I thought to use the blocks, stacking up or tearing down is just as easy.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
there are several folks who build semi-permanent above ground ponds using concrete blocks set on the ground (or a deck) and an EPDM liner. for instance:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?225355-Mbuna-Vacation-Pond-%28PS.-Demasoni%29/page3

if you're only going 16" high (2 blocks) the water pressure won't be a big problem; use wide (6 or 8") blocks rather than skinny ones (3 - 4") for added stability, and if you can find mortarless system block it would be even more secure. remember to do a proper overlap at the corners, altho for the pond in the link (see the third page) he did not stagger the blocks and it still works for him every year

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
That is perfect, exactly what I want to do. This is great now I can sketch out a plan and start looking around for the best deal on bricks. Thanks so much pbeemer. Stay tuned for plenty of pictures on my build.....well maybe don't stay tuned but check back in awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store