will a T5 bulb fit in stock light fixture?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
upgrading to a 75gal. I believe it comes with a 48" lighting fixture. I don't want a HO bulb, will I be able to use a T5 in this fixture?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Nope.

the pin configuration on a t5 is a lot smaller than anything else and wont fit without changing the sockets at the very least. If its not T5, a T5 bulb just wont fit.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
ok, is there a kit I can buy to change stock lighting fixture to accept T5 bulbs. What are my lighting options for a 75 gal tank? I'm told the 4 24 inch light fixtures with flouresent bulbs won't reach the bottom of the tank.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
You could use a t-12 / t-8 fixture thats 48 inches and dual bulb and run t-8 bulbs. Not familiar with T-5 NO all my tanks run T-5 HO and they require different ballasts to run them. You could also look into investing in LED. Its pricey to start with but it'll pay for itself in no time. I wish I had the money to swap out all my T-5s to LED.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
No.
The standard aquarium industry 48" light fixture will handle T8 bulbs. Older units will only run T12 bulbs.
Since you wrote you didn't want HO, you can replace the ballast and sockets, to run one or two T5NO (normal output) lamps. They don't get too hot for the plastic the fixture is made of.

If you had asked about T5HO, I'd have warned that T5HO (high output) lamps normally come in metal fixtures with metal reflectors and often have cooling fans.

If you were located in Japan or Europe, you might be able to find adapters that would allow you to use T5 in a T8 fixture. They were available there when the governments mandated more efficient lighting to save building more power plants.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
http://www.fulham.com/Detail_Ballasts.php?ID=WH4-120-L
This is the ballast you would need to run 2 - 28 watt T-5 No lamps in a 48' fixture
and you'd need these type of lamp holders or something similar
http://www.businesslights.com/t5-fluorescent-twist-and-lock-lampholder-12-pack.html
and of course a 48" fixture.
As for reflector. Your tank isnt that deep so something as simple as flat white paint would be a good reflector. They make special reflectors for T-5 HO to maximize the the PAR getting into the tank for reef keepers, but if you are just going for plants it isnt that critical.
I run 2 T-5 HO's on my 125 and can grow most plants no problem. I used flat white paint and it works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store