Got sick overnight...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrochon

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2011
Hey guys, I've never seen this before, in fact I registered specifically to ask questions about this. I have 3 Raphael catfish (all ~2.5 years old and fairly large). On Friday I did a normal water change, no change from what I have been doing for years, and then this morning (Sunday), I woke up to find one of them in a very bad state.

His scales are all enlarged or swollen and look like some kind of exoskeleton. Also his belly appears fuzzy and there is a very large lesion on his backside.

None of this was there on Friday as I sat and watched the fish feed after changing the water.

No other fish in the tank are showing any signs of trouble.

1. Size of tank?

80 gallons

2. a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?

Haven't tested in a while, I realize I should but I would expect more than one fish is upset if the water quality is poor. Will get on that though, I promise.

3. Temperature?

78 farenheit pretty much constant, fluctuated +- 2 degrees or so during water change.

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

2 years 10 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

2 spotted pleco (6-7', 2.5 years old)
3 raphael catfish (4-7', 2.5 years old) (now 2 catfish)
3 mini spotted corys (1-2', 2 years old)
4 small cichlid, yellow lab (1-2', parents were rescued from a friends tank in poor shape recently (~4 mos), they made babies and subsequently died and now only the youngs remain)
1 weird loach thing (4', looks like a pink eel)
2 small upside down catfish (1-2', rescued from same tank as cichlids, 4mos in my tank)
1 siamese algae eater (~4', 2.5 years)
1 small bushynose pleco (~3', rescued from same tank as cichlids and upside downs, 4mos)

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

Probably, but it has been a long time

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
both
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
huge multi level cavern rock, looks like a cinder block made of volcanic rock
big roman colosseum piece

9. a. Filtration?
fluval 405
b. Heater?
some fluval brand water heater, nothing special

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
2x t5 phillips fluorescent one sun color one moon color
9am-11pm ON
11pm-9am OFF

b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
very, very little if any

11. a. Water change schedule?
2 weeks
b. Volume of water changed?
20% approx (eyeballed)
c. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
6 mos, lots of plants though

12. Foods?
bloodworm, flakes, pellets
How often are they fed?
3-5 times / week

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
not until this morning, though I thought he was behaving strangely yesterday
b. Appearance of poop?
n/a
c. Appearance of gills?
...skeletal

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
no
b. What meds were used?
none

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
Pictures are terrible, i realize, used my camera phone.

belly.jpg

under.jpgside.jpg

belly.jpg under.jpg side.jpg

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The protruding scales could be dropsy.

mrochon

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks Pinkertd, I had suspected dropsy I'm mostly just worried about the other guys int he tank, obviously that catfish did not survive the day looking like that..

On a positive note everyone else seems to be ok so far, I'm monitoring the tank closely.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Dropsy is not contagious. I would increase water changes and gravel vacing in that tank though. There is no cure for this stage of dropsy unfortunately.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Dropsy for sure, but the word "dropsy" defines a symptom, not a disease. It's fluid accumulation in the fish's abdomen, but it can be caused by any one of several things, from bacteria to birth defects so it may or may not be contagious, although usually it isn't. pinkertd is right that the long term prognosis is bad. Even if the swelling subsides, the damage is done and the fish rarely lives long. Test the water!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store