Need help with Lexan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I went to HD yesterday and got a 18x24 sheet of Lexan. It was $20. I was looking for plexi-glass but didn't see it. Will the lexan be ok to use and attach ok with silicone sealant? This will go in a 29 gallon tank as the divider between the land and water.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
lexan should be fine in the aquarium, but silicone will only stick so so. It will probably hold enough to keep your wall in place, but in the long term it's unlikely it will not develop a leak.

I tell everyone starting a paludarium the same thing, don't try to seperate the land and water areas, because water will always find it's way eventually. I think it's better to build your land over the water using false bottoms, allowing proper drainage into the water column.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I tell everyone starting a paludarium the same thing, don't try to seperate the land and water areas, because water will always find it's way eventually. I think it's better to build your land over the water using false bottoms, allowing proper drainage into the water column.
I totally agree.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks! So I should just use like an egg crate perhaps with a screen over it for where I want the land? The land should just drain into the water?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yep, eggcrate with screen, or weed blocker if you are using a fine substrate. Your bottom inch of substrate above water should be gravel, then you can put what you want above it, I like ABG mix the best. Around the edges, to keep the land from sliding off the false bottom, you can use wood, rocks, cork bark, spray foam, or almost anything to create that shoreline wall. Cork is probably the easiest, but there's no shortage of options.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store