Goldfish with septicemia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
Hey all I need some helping on treating my 4" Ryukin, Pabloa.
Here are the stats.

55gal - with 3 goldies (including her)
temp - 70-71 degrees (f)
water parameters were normal.
eats hikari lionhead, hikari goldfish, veggie flakes, algae wafers, other veggies.

Went away on vacation for the weekend and come back to find he looking...well weird. Looks almost like she has a light grey mold looking discoloration on her fins and I can see the tiny red veins on the white parts. I thought maybe the water had deteriorated while I was away but, all the parameters were normal. No high nitrate or ammonia and the pH was normal. The other two fish appear completely normal.
Only thing I did notice is my male fish is in breeding form, he has tubercles and has been harassing her. Maybe the cause of stress.

I have quarantined her in a 10 gallon with a filter (no media). I was planning on treating her with Jungle - anti-bacterial medicated food and a bit of salt.
If you guys know of something better, think I'm diagnosing her wrong let me know!!

I love this fish, I've had her over a year and she's very strong, never been ill. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
If he's really been harassing her, fatigue and stress are enough to trigger this. It's good you isolated her so she can get some rest. Anti-bacterial food is great stuff, too. Does she still have an appetite?

An otherwise healthy fish should bounce back within a few days. Keep us posted!

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
She is isolated in a 10 gallon, she's still a bit to nervous in the new tank to be interested in food but she did eat while she was in the 55 so I'm hopeful she'll take the food. I bought some back up ant-bacterial liquid medicine as a last resort.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Sounds like you're doing well. When I QT a goldie like that I drape a towel or something around the sides/back and give them some cover using plastic plants (easy to sterilize afterward). They seem to calm down sooner when they feel hidden and protected. If someone doesn't have extra plants on hand, clean bowls or coffee cups in the tank give them something to hide between.

She can go a long time without food, btw. So don't get alarmed if she doesn't eat anything for a day or two.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I'd quarantine her so she won't get harassed anymore and clout the Q system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store