Painting the INSIDE of the back page of an acrylic aquarium.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Hey guys.

So I scored a 135 gallon, "reef ready" setup on Craigslist. I love it...except for the back panel of the tank. It is colored acrylic (not just an applied layer of paint to the back of the panel), so there is no way to easily change the color. It is a bright blue, and while appropriate for reef tanks, I'm not a huge fan of the blue for a freshwater setup. I'd like to make it black.

I've been doing a lot of research, and from what I've gathered Krylon Fusion is the way to go for painting things that go inside the tank because it bonds well to acrylic AND is inert once it cures. I don't mind waiting for it to cure. I can wait the 7 days.

But I worry about durability. I did a test panel with a piece of acrylic that I bought from Home Depot, and an hour after I sprayed it I could easily mark the paint with my fingernail. Does it hold up well to marks and scuffs after the full curing time, or will it get marked just as easily?

Is this my best bet to change the color of the background? I've already taped out the tank and am ready to paint, but am having second thoughts at the last minute. Any opinions out there? :help:

Thanks.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
not only will you be guaranteed to get paint all over the inside of the tank, but that much paint in the tank is likely to be a pain. And forget about cleaning that pane, the paint will eventually scrape off.

you should get a thin sheet of black acrylic or expanded pvc, and secure it inside the tank instead.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
The problem is that it will be impossible to get anything of substantial size into the tank because there are only 2 small holes in the top of the tank. It is an acrylic tank, and with that type of top, getting full-sized sheets of acrylic in there is not plausible.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
Just get some aquarium background in blue / black and use a little silicone to adhere it. I have done that for many of my tanks.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I can't imagine that paint will hold up for any length of time, also how will you clean any algae off the back?

The best solution is probably just to create a moss wall for the entire back of the tank. Requires some patience but I'm sure it would be stunning once it was finished.

Another alternative is to do a 3D cork background inside of the tank (would have to be done in sections). Mellow could probably give you some pointers :)

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
a 135 is probably a bit large for one's first cork tank. I wouldn't go that route myself on something so large, I would want something that was a longer term solution, or that was removable. The first thing that comes to mind, are the backgrounds from Universal Rocks, which I think are really top notch, and roll up to fit in the tank openings. http://universalhabitat.com/shop.php/backgrounds/c_3.html Their videos on the product pages really show how easy it is.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Those are definitely some cool backgrounds, but remember that this tank has two corner baffles that make the back wall of this tank non-flat. I'm now thinking that some sort of adhesive film would be the best/cleanest route to take. Any recommendations for where I might be able to buy some black, aquarium-safe adhesive film by the foot? That way it can conform to the contour of the back wall. A hard, flat piece of acrylic or 3D background will not work for this application.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store