Setting up a new Discus tank need advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buddah001

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2011
I am not new to the hobby. I have had fish tanks all my life in one form or another. I have a 180 gallon reef ready tank that I want to set up as a Discus tank. And I already have a Fluval FX5 canister filter. So i at a desicion that I need help with. Do I take out the overflows and use the canister filter and plug the holes in the bottom of the tank or use the overflows and buy a new sump style filter with the bio-wheels and put it under the tank in the stand?
I am also planning on making this a heavily planted tank. And was wandering if the substrate from aquarium plants.com is worth paying for. Its the freshwater plant substrate. Do i need to do CO2 injection?
Then what type of lighting and how much is needed for a 180g tank.
I really appreciate evryones help here. Yes I am a newby to this forum but if someone can chime in it would help alot. I do not want to relly on some young kid in a LFS to make the decisions for me.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm going to move this to the "General" section. I think it will get more attentio there since the questions are not really about discus but tank and lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store