Sick Peacock Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I first wrote this on the cichlid forum, but I guess it's supposed to go here.

I currently have a 55gal. tank with three peacock cichlids ( used to be five ), a 10gal. fry tank ( currently occupied! ), and a 10gal. hospital/quarantine tank.

For about four months, the 55gal. was doing well. I had been trying to breed peacock cichlids, and was having a little trouble, but other than that, the tank was fine. When I think it all started, I had just bought a new peacock ( from a tank with a sick fish:duh:) and figured out that it was already pregnant. I put her in my fry tank and after three days, she gave birth. Since I didn't want her to eat any of the fry, I moved her immediately into my main tank:duh: with four other peacocks: two males and two females. She was very stressed, and at first ate little, then nothing at all. I wanted to isolate her, but I didn't have a quarantine tank at the time, so I just hoped that she'd be all right. Well, she wasn't, and ended up disappearing. I thought I checked everywhere for her, but couldn't find her.

After that, I noticed that the nitrates were really going up, so I thought that it was the pleco who was pooping everywhere. I took him back to the lfs, and did a water change when I got back.

The next day, I noticed that the lower lip of one of my male peacocks had turned grey. I knew it was a disease, but I didn't know what. I decided another water change wouldn't hurt, so I did a 50% that night, and when I did another the next night, I finally found that missing fish. It was long dead, and had areas covered with a brown growth. I scooped it out, and set aside the net I used; I didn't want to spread disease with a dirty net. The fish was floating in crevasse formed by the rocks in the tank, but the gap was closed by another rock, so I didn't see it there. When I moved the rocks to see where it had been decaying, I saw that the whole area was covered by a dense growth of some kind of brown substance. I didn't know what it was, so I siphoned it all out.

The next morning, I find that one of my two remaining females, as well as one of the males, had been infected with Ich, and that the male with the grey lip had gotten worse: the disease had spread to underneath the jaw. I researched it, and found that it matched both Flexibacter Columnaris and fungal infection. I didn't which one it was, so I went to the lfs, and he told me to use Pimafix. I ended up buying both Pimafix and Melafix, and started treatment with the Melafix.

Five days later, the infection is worse, and I can clearly see that it is Columnaris; the infection spread to the upper lip, both sides of his face, as well as the dorsal, caudal, and pectoral fins, and there are now red sores near his lips. I gave up on the Melafix and started the Pimafix, and since the Ich was getting worse, I tried adding Kordon Ich Attack as well. I figured the infection could spread to the other fish, so I set up the hospital/quarantine tank, and put him in there today. Now, he has a case of velvet, and I noticed that one of the females also has it. The really concerning thing though, is that the second female just became pregnant, and I have no other tank to isolate her in to protect her from the diseases. When she gets further into the pregnancy, her immune system is going to be down and she could easily be infected! :cry:

In the quarantine tank, the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels are pristine,and in the 55gal. the nitrate is about 30ppm, with the nitrite and ammonia a 0ppm. It's a little high, but I didn't want to do a water change before the treatment was over. Is this a concern?

Any advice whatsoever would be really appreciated. If you need anymore information, just ask. Thanks in advance.

Also, what's a good way to sterilize equipment for the tanks, such as nets and siphons?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Wow, a lot going on there! Sorry to hear, I'm not sure if I can help but I'll try.

First, what species of Aulonocara are in the tank? There may be aggression issues and having so few females is going to be rough on them.

I have no idea what the brown gunk could be, but poor water quality in general is probably the cause of the diseases. Having a large decaying fish likely caused a spike in ammonia before you noticed the nitrates going up, which Cichlids are sensitive to. How high are we talkin about, before the water changes?

Melafix and Pimafix will not cure Columnaris and "treatment" with these is a waste of precious time, but you already know that now.

Ich Attack is an herbal treatment, but I don't know how effective it is because people rarely update their progress. I would go ahead and do another water change to get the nitrates down and add more Ich Attack.

You can sterilize equipment with hydrogen peroxide or a weak (20:1) bleach solution, after which you should rinse well and with lots of dechlorinator.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I'm not really sure of the species, but there was definitely some fin nipping until I took the male out, though it wasn't very serious or often.

After the fish had died, the nitrates were around 80-90ppm, really high. That's why I did two 50% water changes.

Melafix and Pimafix have done nothing whatsoever, at least that I can see, to help the fish, but is it possible to use these as wound treatments? Or at least the Melafix?

I'm going to do another water change and add more Ich Attack, but is there a more effective product I could use? What do you use? I've heard that heat and salt could work, but that would stress the fish more.

Would I just need to use dechlorinator for the water I use to rinse the equipment off? I have well water, so I don't use any dechlorinator.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I just found out that my female ( the one that isn't pregnant ) has been infected by Columnaris as well. Should I put her in the quarantine with the male? Should I put the pregnant female in the quarantine, and put the male back into the main tank? I don't want the pregnant female becoming sick, since she's carrying the fry. Should I euthanize? I really am at a loss. Please help!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
You need to treat the whole tank since all the fish have been exposed. Don't worry about the fry or eggs she's holding, they can always make more if they survive the columnaris. I've never had to deal with that disease so I don't have any advice there except to search around for a medicine that treats it.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I've heard that Kanamycin, as well as Furan-2, will treat Columnaris successfully. I've also heard that a combination of the two would be effective. Does anyone know if these two will work, and if so, should they be combined?

I did a water change yesterday, and the uninfected male and the pregnant female are still mouth rot free, and I don't think they have Velvet either. The Ich on the pregnant female has decreased, and her fins are starting to look better. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

The infected male has worsened; now the infection has surrounded his eyes, and I think it's gone underneath them. It looks like it, but is that possible? I think his Velvet infection is now worse, as well as the female's. Her Columnaris has developed more also. I haven't been treating them with anything, since I don't know what to treat them with. Is he going to make it? Is there anything I can do to help him?

Should I treat the Columnaris first, or the Velvet? Once I know what to use, what do I treat first?

One more question: can I continue to use Ich Attack while I use these medications? I don't want to mix anything that could be harmful. Please, someone help me!

Last edited:

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
The infection is now in his eyes; the eyes look very clouded. I don't think I can save him when the infection is so advanced. Is there a humane way to euthanize him? I don't want him to keep suffering like this.

Just an update on the female: she swallowed her eggs this morning. I think it was because of the diseases going around. I'm going to treat the main tank with Coppersafe to kill the Ich and the Velvet.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi Goodcreature, thanks for the update. To be honest I've luckily never had to deal with Ich or Columnaris, so my knowledge is limited to what I've read in books and articles on fish disease.

I understand completely how difficult it must be to see your fish suffering. Since it is a peacock and not, say, a dither fish, I personally wouldn't pull the plug just yet, but you're in the best position to judge. Dealing with multiple diseases isn't unusual since the fish's immune system is weakened and it's like a domino effect, but neither of these conditions are necessarily fatal. The fish that appear healthy may well have been able to fight them off.

The Coppersafe should take care of the Ich/Velvet, but we've still got the Columnaris going on, and frankly I don't know how safe it would be to combine two strong medications. I probably would have chosen salt to treat the parasites since it's less toxic, and perhaps Kanamycin or Maracyn for the other, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in with a better suggestion. Hang in there!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I went to the lfs yesterday, but they didn't have Kanamycin, Furan-2, or Maracyn. I'll have to check Petco or somewhere else.

I did find some Aquari-sol though, so I've been using it for the Ich in the main tank. I thought it might help the fish in quarantine as well, so I've used it once so far to treat the Velvet. Once I find something to treat the Columnaris with, I'll do a water change in the quarantine and stop the Aquari-sol, that way, I won't mix medications.

The once-pregnant female is still improving, and the uninfected male is still so. The other male, however, is still getting worse. The Velvet is starting to go away though. If anyone can still offer some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I think the Ich in the main tank is gone now, but I'll continue treatment for a couple of days, just to be sure.

The male still isn't doing well, but it doesn't look like he's getting worse. I'm going to order Furan-2 online today, and hopefully he improves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store