20 gallon long build/journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im starting up my 20 gallon tank. itll instantly cycle with rocks from another tank and a filter from another tank. im stocking it with just a pair of cutteri cichlids. i dont know if i can put plants with them or not, but ill through in some anubius and hygro. now there's this really cool piece of wood i found in a creek bed. anybody know if its ok?

what a nosy dog!!!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, I've never hesitated to use driftwood, regardless of where I find it. Just make sure you soak it and test water for potentialy unexpected stuff that could come out. But most people boil theirs first (I don't have a pot large enough for any of mine) so if you can, do so.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
what exactly could the driftwood do if it turned out to be softwood? could i put like carbon in the filter or something like that as a precaution?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
also would a bristlenose pleco added to the mix be ok? so this would be the stocking and filteration.
2-cutteri cichlids
1-bristlenose pleco
lightly planted(hygro, vals, anubius.)
1-aqua tech 10-20
2-tetra 10 gallon internal filters. ill probably buy a aquaclear 20 or 40(or is it 30?) once they have their fry.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
A pleco would be too much for such a small tank. I'm not an expert on DW, in fact I just soak and plop my drift wood.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
darn really wanted a pleco :( sadness.
need more opinions on DW. the long part of it seems to flake off pretty easily in some places but the bottom root looking part wont flake of at all.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I would imagine a bn pleco would be just fine in there. As for the driftwood i would get a big tote and soak it for a while. Empty and refill it every couple days. If its soft and can be broken apart easily with your hands i would say it probably shouldnt be used.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Here's a test. Breed a fish of yours (killi, platy, betta, etc.) , put em in the tank, and if they live, you can use the DW.

Also, I would ditch the pleco, it takes away from the species tank affect.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Here's a test. Breed a fish of yours (killi, platy, betta, etc.) , put em in the tank, and if they live, you can use the DW.

Also, I would ditch the pleco, it takes away from the species tank affect.
no thank you! dont want any fish dieing over a piece of wood.

I would imagine a bn pleco would be just fine in there. As for the driftwood i would get a big tote and soak it for a while. Empty and refill it every couple days. If its soft and can be broken apart easily with your hands i would say it probably shouldnt be used.
thanks for the advice on the pleco and the idea with the tote(need a tote for the frogs anyway).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store