L-183 starlight bristlenose pleco care?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks a bunch to all you guys that sent me leads... I've finally found one, and it should be here thursday or friday! :) anyways... Looking for care info on these guys. I know the gist, but now I'm looking for personal experiences/random stuff you know about them. They're so difficult to find Profiles for lol. :) tank setup:
29 gallon
Stock:
6 black skirt tetras
6 cherry barbs
2 Bolivian rams (well... Soon to be lol.)
1 black Molly
Mr/ms pleco :)
I'm also considering 6 orange laser cories... Any thoughts as to wether that'd be too much?
Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-10
Ph: 6.4
I've got tons of algae, and there's already driftwood in there. Tank is planted.
I'm really just looking to make it as comfortable as possible for him/her. (s)he's my centerpiece fish, and I'm planning to pretty much make this their tank. Anything on feeding instructions, care, all that is greatly appreciated. :) not planning to breed... Yet ;)

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
if it were me id treat them like all other bristlenoses, but really carefully since you only see them once in a blue moon(i think that saying goes).

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
yay! grats... I've had mine for about 9 months now :evil_lol:

Zucchini is mine's favorite food, he eats almost continuously on the glass and the wood (he'll also eat algae wafers and snaillo, which is a home made invert food that jinkzd has a recipe for on the forums here). Make sure he has caves to hide in when he's scared. Lots of plant cover is a plus, as are floating plants.

Be Warned: These little buggers eat continuously, I've once seen mine so stuffed that every bite he took made his poop string longer and it was about an inch hanging out (he'd been eating lots and lots of wood for some reason) i.e. they're a tube with a mouth at one end, a tail at the other and really pretty fins on the outside.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
All right lol... Calm down you two ;) good try happypoet lol... If I can ever convince my mom to let me breed... You're first on my list ;) at fozzybear, I have a flower pot, and a rock cave... Both of which are fairly open... (like as in no privacy open) Not much I can do about the rock cave, but do you think I could cut the pot in half or something to make it a bit "cozier"? I've got floating plants, (not a ton, but a bit) and the tank is heavily planted, so I guess I'm ok there. Also, for a few weeks, (s)he's going to to be QT'd. (S)he'll be in a ten gallon with gravel substrate... I really don't want him/her to get hurt. Do you think (s)he'll be ok? (if absolutely nessecary, I can set up an emergency bare-bottom QT, but hiding spots will be rather hard to come by.) also, once again at fozzybear lol, what stock do you keep yours with?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store