Help with Gold Ram!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hey guys,

So, i have been noticing this weird bruise kind of thing on my gold ram, some think its a parasite, but i don't believe it is as the fish is eating fine, looks gorgeous, none of my other rams in the tank have it, and the fish seems to be fine. So, it appeared 4 weeks ago, got bigger and bigger, then the gold color of the gold ram's scales on the bump area disappeared, now it is a bit smaller, but i can see like bits of blood, and it seems the gold ram scratched itself against something. could it be an infection?

thanks

here are some pics;)

please help:help: really worried, my favorite ram...........

IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0059.JPG

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
and all pics are from today

its on only 1 side of its body

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Taking it out of the water to take pics probably isn't doing much for it ;) idk, try a QT and aquarium salt. If that doesn't help, it probably is a parasite.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
well, i did think of the parasite point of view, but it most likely isn't as none of my other fish have it........:)

well, that was the only way to take pics, its fine now, i check my fish often like this so they don't stress out when i need to do it if they look sick, or something, that way when necessary, it doesn't stress them as they knwo they'll be fine and in water soon. the only fish i have never done this with is corys;)

i was thinking about a QT, maybe once I set up a 2nd one, my current is full right now.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
that is what i thought

but what could it have scraped???

and why is it so swelled? im really confused? im going to separate it, and try doing 50% WCs daily.

also will try API stress coat

the only things i have in my tank are

giant piece of DW, few live plants, and lava rocks, could it be lava rocks???

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
If it is an injury, I've heard that Melafix is good for treating wounds. It isn't good for much else though. You might consider trying that in the quarantine.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
okay, I think I have something like that except liquid form,

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
If the wound treatment doesn't do anything, it might be a internal parasite. If that's what it is, I have know idea of what it could be.

I sincerely hope your fish improves.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
well, i did think of the parasite point of view, but it most likely isn't as none of my other fish have it........:)

well, that was the only way to take pics, its fine now, i check my fish often like this so they don't stress out when i need to do it if they look sick, or something, that way when necessary, it doesn't stress them as they knwo they'll be fine and in water soon. the only fish i have never done this with is corys;).
I would be afraid of stressing an already-stressed fish further. Even gentle handling of them can disturb their slime coat, vital for protecting them against disease and parasites. I keep a magnifying glass by the tanks, and a blown-up in-tank picture is a great diagnostic tool. :)

Just a guess, but it was probably some kind of wound that didn't heal and has now become a bacterial infection. Gold rams, gold long-fin rams are reportedly as weak if not weaker than GBRs. They come in juiced up on antibiotics but unfortunately those wear off. I would QT it and try an antibiotic. Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store