Pleco Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Hi All,

So im new here and im a beginner aquarium keeper. Im having a few problems with plecos. I've had 3 in the past, 1 butterfly pleco, and 2 common plecos; All at different times and none have survived for more than 2-3 weeks. I've brought my water in and theres nothing wrong with it. I feed it wafers and the algae in the tank. I have a kuhli loach, a rope fish, 2 ryukins, and a telescope. Nothing that can harm it. Its in a 30 gallon. Basically im going to buy a new one tommorow and I'm hoping you can tell me whats wrong and give me a few pointers to keep this guy healthy and alive. I have a filter and airpump and caves and plants in my tank. Im going to buy a royal, common or magnum pleco. Any help would be great! Thank you!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I would say weak stock but none of those plecos will do well in that size tank. All get 10+ inch which the tank is way too small for and they will be stunted/unhealthy. Not a good thing. Maybe decide on a smaller size pleco? Is this also a cold water tank (no heater) since you have the telescope and ryukin? If it is, no plecos work since they're mostly for heated tanks which your goldfish may not like.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I agree with Sora1600 on the temp. suggestions and the tank being just a little too small for the type of pleco you want. Perhaps a Bulldog Pleco or a Clown Pleco would be more suitable for a 30g. The Clown Pleco's are quite pretty and I think they max out at around 5" or so but I may be wrong.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Hi all. Thanks for the help! After your suggestions I called my LFS and they have one BN pleco left so if I can get this figured out, ill go pick him up later. The tank is cycled and I got so sick of the pleco's dying, I changed the whole tank out (substrate, fish). The tank is like new right now and has been running for a week and I brought the water levels in for testing and they are fine. And my tank is unheated because of the goldfish but once they are gone ill be putting in cichlids and a heater but I noticed that the LFS has all their plecos in a nonheated tank.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I think you should wait to get the bristlenose since your tank is not fully cycled now. Wait a few more weeks since that is a lot of bioload and fish for the filter to catch up. I'm not a big fan of "instant cycle" either since you want to make the tank perfect for whatever fish you want in there instead of stressing it out because you saw something you liked.
It's usually because the room itself is heated. Plus the fish are only there for a few days or until they get sold off.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Hmm yeah. I was wondering could you use a heat lamp on the tank? I have one for lizards would that be alright? I have another 10 gallon tank thats been running for ages and has 2 gourami's, 4 neon tetras maybe I can get the pleco and put him in there and then move him into the 30g in a few weeks?

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
people talking about size, cycle and temp are all right, these could all be factors killing your plec. Also, diet; are you feeding him algae wafers? Is there wood in the tank (many plecs are wood eater)? have you provided high quality vegies (spirulina, zucchini, green beans)?

Since plecos often live at the bottom of the tank water quality can be very important for them. I would really recommend that both for the sake of bio-load on an underdeveloped tank (not able to handle high bioload) and for the sake of the pleco itself (not dying) you just wait for 2-3 weeks to pick up a replacement. Keep in mind that there are hundereds of different variation of plecs, some of which are really extraordinary, spend the next couple weeks researching a really fun or exciting kind...i've got L204
and L183

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Yes I feed them algae wafers and driftwood. I never tried zucchini. Also I would love to research but the LFS' here suck and only sell common, magnum, royal and BN plecos. I hate having such a small selection but I live on an island and its hard to get good fish.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Some pumps will heat the water (not designed to) during operation and additional heat is not required. Plecos need stable water conditions. The tank should be fully cycled and like goldfish, they generate an immense bio-load for their size. Heavy filtration is a must. Plecos often will not tolerate others of their own kind and are best kept singly. I would not add plecos to a newly cycled tank but rather one that is well-established. I keep my common, 14 in, (P.disjunctivus) in a 90 gallon as it needs the full 48" length and doubt that I would keep it in anything less than a 75 (to have the extra water available). I keep several BN's and clowns in a 40 Breeder and temporarily have a royal in a 20 high. The key thing that allows this to work is that all tanks are well-established before the plecos were added and I spend a lot of time maintaining the tank to be able to support such a heavy load.

Please do not get more until the tank is fully established and heated. If your store uses test strips, I would question the accuracy of the tests. They have been known to be less than accurate and the time it takes you to grab a sample and take to store can alter the actual readings. I say this based on actual testing on my part to see if there was a difference and found it to be true for me. I recommend that you invest in an API Master Test Kit which usually runs about $30.

Glad to see you have driftwood as it is a necessary part for the diet of many plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store