What is this Pleco??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I got a 'common pleco' as a hitch hiker and after some time in a 40 breeder, I moved him into my 1,300g pond. He has been in there for maybe 2mo and has gotten very large, from 2.5in to at least 5-6in. But I noticed something odd about him, back in the tank and now in the pond, he has red trimmed fins. It's very pretty, but I have no idea what species he is now because of this. He is not ill, no tears or anything like that, just his normal coloring.
And yes, he will be brought inside for the winter, no worries about that.

Here are pics of him when he was small. Last pic shows where the red is now. It's kind of hard to tell, but the spots are red, but blend into the fins, mainly sticking to the edges.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I would say a Red Fin Cactus Pleco or a Flame Pleco. Also Red Streaks in the fins can be a sign of a Virus or Ulcer. I doubt its that but just so you know. xD

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I know, that's why I mentioned it's always been there and it's not streaks.
I may try and catch him later today to get a pic of him. Don't want to stress him and the other fish too much though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store