Stocking a 10g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
First off, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section of your forums. I am new and only have one thread about my tanks.

Hello, I have a 10g aquarium that will be done cycling in a couple weeks if all goes well. I am gong to move my two fancy guppies and 3 neon tetras over to this tank so the betta can have the 5g for himself. While talking to a guy at a local petstore below, I have decided to up the neons to 6. He also suggested 1 or 2 of some sort of shrimp for the bottom after the tank has been running for a couple months. I asked about small catfish and he suggested cories specifically the panda cories. I have read that these do not do well with a gravel tank and they like sand more. They seemed fine at the store with gravel but I dont know any signs. I have gravel in my tank and I dont want to get a fish that will get hurt or not like the gravel.

http://www.birdsandbeastspetshop.com/44953/index.html

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Many people keep cories on gravel. I have done it as well as with eco-complete substrate. You just need to gravel vac. Watch their barbells (little whiskers) for erosion.
I think you could increase the neons. A better alternative would be the smaller species of cory...pygmaeus or hasbrosus. Cories need to have a group of 4-6. You could do them in a 10....but get at least 4.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I suggest you don't get cories. Bio load might be too much. It's best to keep the 10g as stable as possible even if you dont max the bioload. If you want you can up some guppies and keep the 6 neons. I plan on having a honey gourami and 8 ember tetras in my 10g.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Ok, interesting on corries. hasbrosus cories look cool. But would 4 of them and 6 neons, and 2 guppies all be comfortable in a 10g tank? That is a total of 12 fish. I dont know much about stocking so that is the point of this thread. Open to any suggestions. The pet store guy said they have different types of corries spread through half of their tanks so they probably have these.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
What are ottos? I dont know about the gravel, it looks to be much more rounded than what I have in the hex 5 but it does look like a small percentage of them look a little sharp. I can go and move sharper pieces. It will be tedious but probably worth it.

I looked up the ottos, but most of what I found look like those things that cling to the side of the tank and clean it. Cool but boring, the point of wanting a catfish is to look cool and be active (although most are nocturnal most people wont look at the tank until later at night anyway)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
6 hasbrosus cories, 6 neons and 2 guppies IMO would be fine in a 10 gallon. If you go with regular cories (panda or such) just get 4. You will still be OK. Otos can be picky about eating. They can also be picky about acclimating. Not a beginner fish IMO.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
6 hasbrosus cories, 6 neons and 2 guppies IMO would be fine in a 10 gallon. If you go with regular cories (panda or such) just get 4. You will still be OK. Otos can be picky about eating. They can also be picky about acclimating. Not a beginner fish IMO.
i wouldnt put regular corys in there. my julliis and peppered are way to active for me to even consider them in a 10.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store