Star polyps and clamshell questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a reef and fish tank with various soft corals....mushrooms, polyps, leathers. The star polyps seem to either die off or disappear (maybe eaten?) after having thrived for months. This has happened with several specimens. No problems with any of the other corals, including yellow polyps. sea mats, button polyps, etc.

Any ideas about what's going on, or any similar experiences?

Also, one of the star polyp colonies was attached to a large clamshell (about 3 inch diameter). Is it ok to just leave the clamshell (now that the polyps and the algae base are all gone) in the tank...or will it somehow foul the water? I don't have any hard or stony corals.

Thanks.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
should be ok to leave the clam shell in the tank. There is nothing on it to rot or mess up your water quality. I'm guessing from that you have enough light since ou have had success with other sofites. Do your shrooms ever look like they have benn nibbled on ? I'd suspect bristle worms but, that's jsut a blind guess.
hth
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store