Angelfish deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
Quetion on 4 Angelfish

Hi guys,
I have a 75 gallon tank stocked with some community fish (got the tank, filter, heater and everything that goes with it plus the fish for $100!). It is not overstocked by ANY means....so I went out after this tank had been set up for about 6 months and bought 6 angelfish for it. They all seemed perfectly fine for about a month and a half......until I woke up one morning and 4 were dead! I tested my water every way possible and everything was perfectly normal. I did a 50% water change later in that day and have had no more losses.

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? The other fish in there are just basically some assorted tetras and one gourami......and some other angels. I have some live plants........really nothing in there that I see as being harmful to 4 little angels!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
If you're sure all your water parameters were ok, I'm stumped, other than PH or water temp. shock. Had you just gotten these fish and they died within a day or two? And was it just the new arrivals that died? Hopefully they didn't bring a disease to your tank with them.
Most people have a "hospital tank" set up for new fish to quarranteen(sp.?) them for a few weeks before adding them to their community tanks. You might want to consider that in the future.
Len

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
Nope, I had had the fish for about a month and a half. I thought it might have been some kind of disease as well....but it was only the 4 angelfish that died. As I said though, all the tests I did on the water came out totally normal.

I don't know if putting them in a quarantine tank would have made a difference since they died quite a while after I got them......but maybe I should try that from now on?

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Is it possible the heater got turned off? What about household cleaners? Were you cleaning up at home the day before they died, or the day of?

I ask because, I was used "pine cleaner" to clean my coffee table which was about 15 feet from my tank. The next morning half my fish were dead. I was traumatized.. tested the water, it was all fine. A friend came over to help me clean up my tank and collect the bodies, and the first thing she said when she walked in the door, "PINE POISONING!". The smell wasn't that strong, but it was noticable. I didn't believe her, so I ended up paying to have my water tested for any type of chemical. Believe it or not, but the ingredients from the pine spray were in my water. Poor fish, having to inhale that as their last breath!

Because I didn't directly spray anything near my tank, and my tank was 15 feet away from where I was using the pine cleaner, my only guess is that I sprayed the table while facing the aquarium, and that by some freak chance it got caught up in a draft.

I now make sure to cover my tank with a towel/sheet before any cleaning chemcials come out!

Anyway, it was just a thought... retrace your steps and see if you, or someone else, used anything. Having 4 fish suddenly die like that, after 1.5 months, and no signs of distress isn't by any means normal.

Good luck! Let me know what you find!

Decz. :)

Archer

happy new year!
May 18, 2002
USA
Were the 4 angles eating well before that fateful day?
Angels tend to have a pecking order. The bigger, more aggressive ones tend to dominate the group, while the weaker ones get picked on and won't get as much food. They tend to get weaker and thinner as weeks go by.

I had a similar experience with several angels who were very healthy for several months. The weaker ones were being picked on, stopped eating, and eventually died.

Sting

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
www.picturetrail.com
I have to agree with Archer. I had two angels, bought a third because they were so beautiful, and he got picked on a little by the older angels. He survived because he was bigger (an dI bought him that way on purpose) but I can only imagine that the other angels may have traumatized them. If you say there were other angels in the tank before you added the new 6, were the newly added angels bigger or smaller? Were the ones that died the smaller of the bunch? How many angels, after you added the 6 new ones, did you have in the tank overall? If no other fish died, or have died since, it is amazing that this happened. The only explanation I ahve is the angels picked on them, or what Archer said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store