Pair of Gourami, one with cloudly + red eyes and one bloated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiago62

AC Members
Jul 31, 2011
Queens, NY
Hey guys,

I have a pair of gouramis. One had pop eyes and i first treated him with maraclyn 2. It helped a lot, it got rid of the pop eyes but his left eye is still cloudly and both eyes have some red in there. Im currently treated him with maraclyn plus on day number 3.

The other gourami is bloated. I tried fasting her but it did not help. Her scales are not protruding.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Have you tested your water? Cloudy/pop eyes and bloated abdomen are both symptoms that are associated with a systemic bacterial infection. If they're still eating, you may have better results feeding them an anti-bacterial pellet or flake along with the ongoing treatment.

tiago62

AC Members
Jul 31, 2011
Queens, NY
they are eating, i have been changing water every other day to keep it clean. What anti-bacterial flake do you recommend?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi tiago
The one I'm familiar with that's widely available is Jungle brand Anti-Bacterial pellets (active ingredients: sodium sulfathiazole & nitrofurazone). Your fish should be good and hungry to eat this stuff, and sometimes it helps to mix it with a bit of garlic or garlic juice. Even if they spit it out they are still getting a small amount of the medication, so don't give in and feed them anything else. Good luck & keep us posted!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Bacterial infections are difficult to treat in the water, but often the fish have stopped eating so it's the only way available to us. Whenever the fish are still eating, ingestion is far more effective. It may have to be watered down somewhat, but I would try soaking some flake or their favorite food in the medication and feeding only that.

tiago62

AC Members
Jul 31, 2011
Queens, NY
The bloated gourami hasn't changed. The gourami with red and cloudy eyes seemed to get a bit better, the cloudiness disappeared but is returning.

I have used maracyn 1 and 2 for the recommended period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store