Sadness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Ok. I feel horrible. I was at a carnival at one of the schools iN our district, and they were giving goldfish as prizes. The game was so easy, basically iMpossible to lose. I knew I had to save a goldfish, so I won one. And a hermit crab. My bro and sis also one themselves each a fish. So I brought everything home, and my bro and sis decided to put theirs in goldfish bowls, even after I took 15 minutes telling them they will die. I'm gonna put mine in the 5 gal in my room. I know this is not enough, it's just for now. Then, they say they want theirs in the tank too. I feel so bad I got one now. So I drained the 5 gal, took all the yucky gravel out, and i am filling it up as we speak. This will bevtemporary. Then they will go into the 10 gallon, and then be put in a 40 breeder. Please help me figure this out. Also, do the hermit crabs need pools of FW or SW?

Thx,

Spencer

NOTE: please do not turn this thread into a thread about fish at carnival games or start attacking me. If you want to insult me, feel free to pm me.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Ok, I've got the top fin 40 running on the 5 gal. So basically, Ive got 8x filtration for the tank. :)

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Honestly i would try and find them a pond home if possible, goldies that they give away at carnivals are feeder goldies which are commons. Common goldfish will grow too large for a 40 breeder. In the meantime set up the largest tank you have, hook up as many filters as you can and do daily water changes. Not sure what advice I can give you if you decide to keep them but can't commit to a tank closer to 75gals but best of luck with your goldies.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Honestly i would try and find them a pond home if possible, goldies that they give away at carnivals are feeder goldies which are commons. Common goldfish will grow too large for a 40 breeder. In the meantime set up the largest tank you have, hook up as many filters as you can and do daily water changes. Not sure what advice I can give you if you decide to keep them but can't commit to a tank closer to 75gals but best of luck with your goldies.
Thx, I think your right, but would a 55 gal work? And for the bathing pools for the hermit crab, do I use freshwater?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Ok, the fish are going in, wish me luck.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Better to rescue them then to let them die. :) you do have a pond plan for the goldies when they get big right?
... No...

I'll probably do a 55 gallon for as long as I can, because they are really small right now. I thin they are comet goldfish, but I'll have a picture of them up in a bit. Right now my brothers fish is in. I'm going to put the other 2 in right now. The filters rated for 40 gallon tanks, so the water movement is crazy. The Goldie cant go in the front of the tank. I'm gonna do something with a water bottle to make the current less, but how would I get the bottle on? Tape?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
All the goldies are in, doing good. I fed them, and my sisters fish was taking gulps of food and sand and spitting it out, like a cichlid. It was cool. How would I do the water bottle thing? Tape?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store