55 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so im getting a 55 gallon tank for my cutteri cichlids and my green bristlenose plecos.
so far research and asking people who own cutteri have pointed me to this stocking.
6-rainbowfish, large tetra, maybe some kind of barbs. suggestions needed.
1-2-angelfish. would a pair be too much?
2-cutteri cihlids.
3-green bristlenose plecos.
what do you think? im open for suggestions. how do you decorate a tank like this since most plants wont work?

CUTTERI SICK?
ok so my male(the larger one) cutteri has been hiding in the cave he made by scooping most of the sand out and making a huge mound in front of it. he also hasnt eatin from what i can see. i just got him 2 days ago. could he be sick, adjusting, or what?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
He's probobly adjusting to the new tank, and they will often dig like that. I'd skip the angel pair, they get nasty when breeding. I'd personally just get a bunch of zebra danios in addition to the cutteri and plecs, they'll make great dithers for the Cutteri.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
He's probobly adjusting to the new tank, and they will often dig like that. I'd skip the angel pair, they get nasty when breeding. I'd personally just get a bunch of zebra danios in addition to the cutteri and plecs, they'll make great dithers for the Cutteri.
vould i do a single angel or firemouth? i hate zebra danios.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
vould i do a single angel or firemouth? i hate zebra danios.
a single firemouth sounds good to me, just make sure that there are PLENTY of territories and that you move EVERYTHING around in the tank when you add him. A stock of the 3 BN's, the 2 Cutteri, and 1 firemouth should be fine. Keep up on water changes.

What kind of filtration do you have?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
a single firemouth sounds good to me, just make sure that there are PLENTY of territories and that you move EVERYTHING around in the tank when you add him. A stock of the 3 BN's, the 2 Cutteri, and 1 firemouth should be fine. Keep up on water changes.

What kind of filtration do you have?
so with the firemouth i couldnt do a school?
itll be a tetra 30-60, aquatech 5-15, aquatech 10-20. the aquatechs will be switched to an AC 70 when i get the cash. i might have more filteration depending on where i buy the tank.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
The aquatechs won't make very much of a difference, I'd wait for the AC70 before you add the firemouth. And yes, a school (other than zebra danios) will be eaten or pushing the stocking limit.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
darn. i kind of wanted a school. could i do a school if i did a lone angel? what other south american/central american cichlids would work?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
what about these cichlids
port acara
salvini cichlids
rainbow cichlid
i was going through liveaquaria.com and they say a gold severum can go in a 55 gallon. is that right?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I wouldn't do a Sev in a 55, if you can upgrade to a 75 then you'll be much better off. (Same length as 55, but wider).

I don't have much experience with those other cichlids, but I'd say to go with either a firemouth esque cichlid or a school of something like Black Skirt Tetras.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so i couldnt do any cichlids AND a school of fish? what are the most personable cichlids that can go in a 55 gallon tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store