Rhinogobius Duospilus! Finally! Breeding attempt log.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Years ago, I randomly ended up with a female Rhinogobius Wui (called at the time) in my overstocked, underfiltered 10 gallon. She was instantly my favorite fish (it took me months to find out what she was!).

Now, after much searching, I finally got a group and a dedicated tank for breeding.
I got a group of 6 in, and I think it's 4m/2f, which will do. They're young, but getting close to breeding age. One of the males is emaciated, but he's got a chance at survival. The other 5 look very healthy, if just a bit thin. Their thinness won't last long!

I have a 10 gallon tank that they're all in currently, but after I pick out the best looking male and female (and hopefully nurse the scrawny one back to health), I'll put the remaining 4 up in my 20 long river tank, leaving just the pair in the 10. My plan is to feed, change water a lot, and wait.

Theoretically, these are very easy fish to breed. If they do, I'll pull the female to the 20, and then the male after 15 days or so, and hopefully I'll have a bunch of young! Anyway, that's the goal.

Here are some pics. They just came in a few hours ago, so they're not in full color yet.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
They look great! Keep us updated!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Brief update: The emaciated one is back to full health. There has been one unsuccessful breeding attempt this far. One of the females was getting really plump. I fed a bunch of white worms and then did a large, cold water-change. The next day I couldn't find my best looking male, and the previously plump female looked back to normal. The day after, I he came out of cave while I was feeding and didn't go back in. I didn't disturb the rocks, as I hoped he'd go back, but he never did.

I'm hoping they'll try again soon! A different female is starting to look a little round...

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Nice. Was wondering when you were going to update this thread:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store