Pleco Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
So I decided I wanted to make a tank fully dedicated to pleco's. It's a 20G with driftwood and heated at 80 degrees. Para's are fine and its been cycled and currently is housing 1 ABN Longfin BN pleco, what else could I add? I went to my LFS and saw some nice clown plecos and then realized every single one of them had no eyes, all 18 of them... Eaten by cichlids kept in the tank - the plecos were still alive, do you think they'll stay alive? If so ill go buy one and take care of him even though he's blind.

Oh and also what other plecos could I add? I know some can get territorial but Im hoping to get small enough ones so they don't fight.

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
There aren't many plecos that can permanently live in a 20g for the rest of its life since many of them get so large. Plus, they are massive poop machines. If it were up to me, I'd stick with a trio of BNs; I'm in love with BNs.

I noticed that you're in NY. If you're in the city, the LFS on elizabeth st. has some rarer species of plecos. Haven't paid them a visit recently so I'm not too sure of their stock.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I live in Staten Island and I haven't been to the city in 10+ years lol. But next time im there I will def check it out thank you! and I saw a nice green pleco with orange spots in my LFS it wasnt for sale but I'm good friends with the owner so I could probably buy it, if you can figure out what it is do you think it could live in a 20? And I was thinking about maybe my ALB BN, a clown? and maybe a butterfly pleco? Im not sure.

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
I think it might be a green phantom pleco. Don't quote me on it, but I think they need a tank larger than a 20. I really like the green phantom and had one in the past but it didn't work for me :( I might try them again in the future.

If by butterfly pleco you mean gibbicep, a 20 would definitely not be enough. From the non-exotic species of plecos around here, I think you're limited to BNs, bulldogs, and clowns. I'm no pleco expert so there might be others I didn't list. Clowns are suppose to be extremely shy and you might never see it.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I looked it up and its actually a sunshine pleco (L-14). Very nice pleco, probably expensive, can you find any info on it? I cant =[

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store