72 Bowfront Planted Aquarium Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Okay, so I recently came across a 125 gallon aquarium with internal overflows and a sump. I donated that tank to my folks who needed it more than I did because their cichlids were out growing this bowfront rapidly. So I set up the 125 for them, and I took their bowfront. I have done planted aquariums before, but this time is slightly different. I am going slightly higher tech on this tank. I have a dual bulb, t5 HO coming. Should be here by tuesday. Should give me roughly 2 watts per gallon. I also just ordered about $60 worth of plants. I am going tomorrow to get more eco complete. I had some left over from a nano tank I did. But another 2 bags will be plenty. Anyways, here are some pics of the tank and stand after I cleaned them. They look fantastic.
Aquarium Supplies and Equipment:
-72 gallon bowfront with black pine stand
-48" HO t5 dual bulb lighting
-eco complete substrate
-marine land C-360 canister filter
-marine land 300 watt heater
Plants ordered:

Ludwigia inclinata 'Green'

Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia peruensis aka Ludwigia glandulosa)

Nesaea Crassicaulis

Pogostemon stellata

Proserpinaca Palustris

Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')

Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)

Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Rotala Wallichii (Rotala wallichii)

Sword, Rangeri (Echinodorus argentinesis) Pot

Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)

Cyperus Helferi

Hedge, Cherry (Alternanthera focoidea bettzickiana 'Red')

Baby Tears , Dwarf (Hemianthus callitrichoides)(potted)

I will update probably almost everyday. Usually if people leave a lot of comments I get more motivated to finish the project. Especially since I ordered the plants already, I do need to get this up and running. If the light get delayed, I do have a back up plan with a series of florescent fixtures until the t5 comes in. The light should be here before the plants, but the plants are shipped 2 day air, so likely to be here Wednesday. Thanks for looking and also, I am going nuts in my head thinking of stocking options. Give me ideas. Right now I know I want tons of plecos and catfish. I am going to try to find some synodontis petricola catfish. I want like 4-5 of those as my folks have 2 of them and I LOVE them. Give me ideas on schooling fish. I am doing a DIY co2 system that hooks up to my powerhead for diffusion.
IMG_0041.JPGIMG_0043.JPGIMG_0040.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Update: Equipment In

So I cleaned the filter really good. I added new media (ceramic rings) and added new floss to catch debris. So the filter intake and output are in, the heater is in, and the power head is ready to go. After I get off work tomorrow, I will work on DIY co2 and get that thing hooked up and ready. The light on there is the temp one so I can see what I am doing.
IMG_0047.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Looks like a nice project. FWIW I would do away with the background and just go with a solid color, blue, black whatever, I believe the solid allow the plants and fish to pop out. Good luck and I look forward to future updates.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I was gonna say the same as Roscoe. It will be totally distracting from your plants. Go with a solid color. Do it now...it will be easier!

lovechevy08

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
USA
Real Name
Lolo
Looks great so far! I love bowfronts but I do have to agree that a solid background would look much better. Can't wait to see updated pics!

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
lol i agree, but then I have to spend more money. This was my folks cichlid background.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Just go to target or walmart or michael's and buy black posterboard...the thicker stuff if they have it. Duct tape it onto the back. Instant black background for 3 bucks.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
FWIW I would do away with the background and just go with a solid color, blue, black whatever, I believe the solid allow the plants and fish to pop out.

Go to Walmart and buy 2 Black Poster boards..

ryukin_5

AC Members
Mar 30, 2010
Antigua W.I
Angle the heater east - west/side -side and lower it so if you accdientally forget to unplug it, it will be below the water line when you do water changes and will not get broken...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store