Angelfish laid eggs and I need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
:help2: Today I noticed my Angelfish laying eggs on the filter intake, so now I have a few questions...

1) Today was supposed to be tank cleaning day but if I lower the water level below the eggs for a 20-30 min will it kill the eggs?

2) Will the parents eat the fry or will they (the fry) hide in the Parrots Feather and other plants to hide from predators?

3) Will the other fish eat the eggs?

4) What do I feed the fry, just grind up flake food to a fine powder?

5) Can you tell which is the female?

:eek:mg:I was not prepared for this, any help would be great!

100_0845.JPG 100_0847.JPG 100_0844.JPG 100_0851.JPG 100_0849.JPG 100_0853.JPG 100_0852.JPG

Last edited:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
wow!:) beautiful angels

i would remove that whitish egg asap as it is infected, and may infect others, filter intake draws in lots of stuff, good: currentl; bad: stuff

i think they might not parent raise, so u should get them into a small container with a sponge filter or gentle aeration, meth. blue would help a lot
or u can let them attempt to raise on their own, and if they eat them, they eat them, and u'll have more soon

and also, don't change anything until the eggs hatch

leave lights on, don't add water, don't do a WC, don't take out other fish, as this can lead to stress to the parents of some unknown scary thing like the net, new water, etc. fish are stupid:) so they might eat the eggs, this happened to me on my 1st batch, just leave everything the same...............hopefully, the tank isn't in the bedroom

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
and u should also watch for a while, and remove the white eggs gently or the others will fall off................

use a syringe

if u want them to live for sure

remove the parents for 20 min, or more. and during that time, make a temp. divider in the tank out of anything fish safe

slate works nicely for a while, or maybe some safe plastic sheet with holes u can poke through so the water doesn't stay still...............

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
and the female is the one on the left and the male on the right i think in the first pic

bc the female seems to be laying more eggs, while the male ferts. them.............

good luck:)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
o_O

If the eggs are on the filter intake you aren't going to be able to move them till they hatch.

The parents should pick off the white eggs, and if they don't they usually figure out to move the wigglers when they hatch.

I don't do anything different when my angelfish are spawning, I still do water changes, lights go on and off at the same time, all of that. If they are bad parents they are bad parents. I've not once had to do the methylene blue thing with angelfish eggs.

If they are in a community setting then the only thing you can do to keep the fry alive is move them to a growout tank once they hatch. It's pretty easy just use a turkey baster. Make sure you put them in a tank filled with the same tank water that they came out of so that there's no shock. Once they are free swimming and being fed multiple times a day, water changes daily/every other day are almost mandatory and be sure to age/aerate the water before adding it.

I've raised several angelfish spawns and some have done better than others, but keeping it simple is the best bet.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
o_O

If the eggs are on the filter intake you aren't going to be able to move them till they hatch.

The parents should pick off the white eggs, and if they don't they usually figure out to move the wigglers when they hatch.

I don't do anything different when my angelfish are spawning, I still do water changes, lights go on and off at the same time, all of that. If they are bad parents they are bad parents. I've not once had to do the methylene blue thing with angelfish eggs.

If they are in a community setting then the only thing you can do to keep the fry alive is move them to a growout tank once they hatch. It's pretty easy just use a turkey baster. Make sure you put them in a tank filled with the same tank water that they came out of so that there's no shock. Once they are free swimming and being fed multiple times a day, water changes daily/every other day are almost mandatory and be sure to age/aerate the water before adding it.

I've raised several angelfish spawns and some have done better than others, but keeping it simple is the best bet.
okay, i guess u might have diff. experiences, but both ways prob work, it just seems to me on the 1st batch of eggs, u get better odds of survival for the fry with no changes? not sure though, haven't tested that out yet..........

meth blue is if u want to raise artificially if you don't have enough room for more pairs.......

parents usually catch on to raising fry, or attempting to do that after a few attempts.........thank god they aren't humans;).......lol

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I've had some pairs that were total fail at spawning, either a terrible fertilization rate or just crappy parenting. Some get it, some don't, some learn it, some won't. I try to keep things simple though and then make changes as needed. If they start spawning, keep them healthy and happy and they'll do it again every week or two for quite a while.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
cool, maybe i'll try that with my pair;) they get spooked so easily...........i turned off the lights and when i got up for a midnight snack like 2 hours later, all gone.:(

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Thanks for the quick input guys! I read your responses this morning but am just getting the chance to respond.
These two seem to be being very good parents! They have all of their tank mates TERRIFIED of them so all the other fish stay over to one side of the tank, every now and then I will hear a fish hit the side of the tank as one of the Golds chases them, poor guys! They even "puff up" at me when I go to the tank to get a closer look! Lol...

When I turned on the lights this morning there were even more eggs there than last night, looks like maybe 200!!!:22_yikes: There are a few more white ones there too, about 15 but I am afraid I will damage the other eggs if I try to remove them (they're so close together) but I can try to with a straight pin or something if y'all think I should. The parents aren't removing them though or at least haven't yet but they let me remove the Xmass Moss and a Java Fern from the intake last night with no problem.
Unfortunately I don't have another tank to put them (wigglers/fry) in when they hatch out. I can maybe get one in a couple of days though.

With the way the tank is set up I can't put any kind of divider in there without some rearranging so I hope since it seems they are trying to be good parents they will protect the fry until I can get them another tank or they're big enough to make it on their own.
Nature may just have to take it's course this round. :irked:

I did a water test this morning and everything looks OK but the tank is starting to look a little green. I guess that will be OK for now and I'm not even adding any ferts right now because I don't want to upset the balance of what is going on in the tank at this point. As long as my tests read OK I can wait to clean and do a w/c... Also, I am afraid the eggs will dry out and die if I expose them to air for too long.

Do I have to hatch them live brine shrimp or can I grind up flake food to a fine powder?

Btw, when I got home from work there were even MORE eggs and it looks like they're still laying! WOW!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store