55 gal African Cichlid stocking thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Hey guys, ive decided to do an african cichlid tank. The fish are so cool, and have such awesome personalities. Heres what i was thinking-

3 yellowtail acei
5 yellow labs
5 rusty cichlids
2 johanni cichlids
3 demasoni

Anything else i can do? Does this setup work? Any tips? And also, are these mbuna? Lol, i cant remember!

Thx,

Spencer

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
First red flag, 3 demasoni; less than 10 (perferably 12-15) will quickly become 1. They need to be kept in large numbers to spread the conspecific aggression around enough. If you really love the demasoni a big group with 5-6 yellow Lab's would work in a 55.
Personally I'd stock yellow Lab's, rusties, and maingano's for diversity of color/patterns and general long-term compatability.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Ok, i like the mainganos, so could i do

5 rustys
5 yellow labs
3 yellowtail acei
2 johanni (try to get pair and try to breed?)
5 mainganos

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
How about sexfasciatus?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
IME acei play a bit rough for a 55, though that may depend on the collection point/species variant in question. I'd drop the johanni, yellow females and blue males are sort of redundant if you're stocking yellow Lab's and maingano's. Not to mention that a pair of ANY mbuna is generally a bad idea...
Sexfasciatus are Tanganykian, and aside from the different dietary requirements than mbuna really need a larger tank, preferably of their own unless it's a really big tank.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
For a 55 gallon I would pick 3 species and stick with that. Acei, yellow labs and rusties are all more mellow mbuna and a good choice for beginners. Acei get a bit large so keep that in mind. I would also avoid maingano. They look very nice but most everyone I know has had to eventually get rid of theirs due to aggression (me included). Zebras types are nice but can also be terrors, kind of depends on the individual.

Duke79

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
I think blue2fyre is giving some pretty solid advice. I probably wouldn't go more than 3 species of Malawi Africans in a 55 gallon tank because of space limitations. The limitation being the footprint of the tank providing enough space for the fish to establish territories. Acei, Yellow Labs, and Rusties are all very good fish to start an African community tank. I realize every "rule" is made to be broken, but if you want as painless an experience as possible it is good to follow a few of them.

Recently I decided I wanted to "break" one of the rules and I tried putting some Z-Rocks in a mbuna tank. My wife is still chastizing me for being cruel to the little guys ...

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
cool, so would this be ok?

5 rusty cichlids
7 yellow labs
3 yellowtail acei

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Any red or green mbuna that are compatible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store