Picky eater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
This is a first for me over the years I've had several Betta's have 3 right now, the newest I just got this past week. He shows no interest in flake food, occasionally he'll eat the Aqueon Betta granules but not untill they've sunk to the substrate. He does seem to like eating shrimp pellets once they've softened up and freeze dried blood worms he'll take at the surface.

I had planned to move him from the current 2.5g he's in to a 29 I have cycling but my stocking plans include a school of Julii Cories and Kuhli Loaches I'm afraid the Betta would starve in that tank if he only eats at the bottom and has to compete with them.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
Start with feeding him thinks like frozen/thawed bloodworms and brine shrimp, then start putting littl bits of flake in when you give him some of the worms or shrimp and gradually increase the flake/pellet and decrease the frozen foods. That, or just try a heap of different brands of foods.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Once a day. He'll sometimes take some flake food now but still prefers to go for the sinking stuff for the shrimps.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
in my experience with 9 different bettas, they didn't take to flake food very well. plus, any food that floats on the surface increases the likelihood of bloat in bettas because they tend to gulp air when feeding from the surface.

being as this betta is new, he could still be settling in and isn't used to what you are feeding him. if he came from a big box store then he is most likely used to betta pellets and nothing else (far as i know, the big box stores only feed pellets to their bettas).

try soaking food in garlic juice to entice him to eat. fish love garlic! NLs makes a small pellet, and i believe Omega One does too. both are good quality foods IMO.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
in my experience with 9 different bettas, they didn't take to flake food very well. plus, any food that floats on the surface increases the likelihood of bloat in bettas because they tend to gulp air when feeding from the surface.

being as this betta is new, he could still be settling in and isn't used to what you are feeding him. if he came from a big box store then he is most likely used to betta pellets and nothing else (far as i know, the big box stores only feed pellets to their bettas).

try soaking food in garlic juice to entice him to eat. fish love garlic! NLs makes a small pellet, and i believe Omega One does too. both are good quality foods IMO.
He seems to be eating enough now, Just cant feed him the same time as the shrimp he'd rather go down and chase them away and eat their pellets then his. He's from Petsmart I dont know what brand betta pellets they use I have Aqueon Betta pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store