My Vampire crabs had crabs!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
I just discovered tonight that my Geosesarma sp. Vampire crabs had crabs. There are about 3 little crabs running around the tank that I saw. I assume that there are more but I didn't have time to look. Well not exactly running, more like hiding in the plants but I saw them tonight. It is so neat. I am so excited. I wanted to get them moved into my new 55 gallon before they had babies but they beat me to it. I will post pics when I get more time.
Does anyone know about new crabs? Are they safe from the parents? What about a female fiddler crab?

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
Well my son is asleep in the room where the tank is now so I don't think he wants me snapping photos with him trying to sleep. Sorry. :) But soon I promise. Very soon. afterall the new pappa has to show off his kids, right?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
they are most likely safe. I wouldn't move them until they are large enough to eat prepared foods. Make sure everyone is well enough fed to avoid any issues.

My Red Devils had babies too, I've only ever seen 5, but almost never see any of them. it's stressful, but you just gotta let it play out.

edit: I didn't see the fiddler comment before... she does not belong there.

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
I got pics

they are most likely safe. I wouldn't move them until they are large enough to eat prepared foods. Make sure everyone is well enough fed to avoid any issues.

My Red Devils had babies too, I've only ever seen 5, but almost never see any of them. it's stressful, but you just gotta let it play out.

edit: I didn't see the fiddler comment before... she does not belong there.
Will the female fiddler eat them? what's up?

IMG-20110920-00239.jpg IMG-20110920-00237.jpg IMG-20110920-00247.jpg IMG-20110920-00242.jpg

Intelsuit

AC Members
May 9, 2011
Well, I still have 4 baby crabs alive and seem to be growing. In a few months, when I can afford it or when my wife let's me buy it, I will be moving them all into a new 55 G aquarium. The 55 is ready I just need substrate. Does anyone know where I can find some cheap? and I also need springtails. Any ideas would be helpful.

butterflychild

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Well i am just using Play sand that is what i was told would be safe for PVC and its cheap. you then can put some spagnum moss and coconut fiber or chips on top. Im doing mine with gravel rocks, then plastic screening on top of gravel then either play sand on top of plastic screen then organic soil then the moss and coconut. But i havent started it yet so we will see how it goes.

Almondleaf

Registered Member
Nov 7, 2020
We got the 2 males and 2 females vampire crab 1.5 months ago. She was pregnant few weeks later. But she then lost it. Very sad. That night she was very restless. Not sure how to help her. When we wake up the next morning, the eggs were dislodged. Few weeks later today, I found out she is pregnant again. A bit too soon I felt. But also not sure how to make the situation better this time? We have a very simple 5G tank 80% gravel, 20% water with small token filter (there is a solo barb and a tiny shrimp in there). Should I take the lady out and have her separate? Should I change the gravel to muddy soil? I read some post that these crabs would hv dig holes?

IMG_20201107_212010.jpg

Almondleaf

Registered Member
Nov 7, 2020
Here is my tank setup. Is simple. Somehow I assume it works since they are healthy, alive and pregnant twice? The tank has small gravel as seen in photo. Do they really need soil? I gives the tank a quick rinse every 3 weeks and replenish the water from my fish tank next to it. I can't give the tank a quick rinse if the substance gonna be soil. Need some suggestion to help the eggs survive this time. Anyone with experience to share is much appreciated.

IMG-20201024-WA0013.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store