Betta Compatibility?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkswrestles

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland
I currently have a 20g tall that is planted fairly heavy and I was wondering if a betta be compatable with 4 serpae tetras, 4 golden white cloud danios, 4 bloodfin tetras, 4 cardinal tetras, and 4 silver tetras?

thanks

toasty

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Southern California
Depends on the betta's temperament.

But even if your betta was amazingly pacifistic, he'll be constantly nipped at by at least a few of the tetras. Also, looks like a ton of fish for a 20g already.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
maybe a gourami would be a better choice, or you could try a female betta or a king betta since they haved shorter fins.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Paradise gouramis are much bigger than bettas - both in length and mass. I have a plakat betta in with a female black paradise gourami, and she is double his size.

A paradise gourami could work, and so could a plakat/king betta.

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Sure. I find neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, white cloud mountain minnows, and pencil fish to be non-nippy. There are other species which are not nippy, too, especially when kept in schools of 6. Looking back at your original list...it's mainly the serpae tetras that are the problem. You also have a lot of fish in there.

Personally, I'd aim for 6-8 small schooling fish (of one type), a betta/gourami/paradise fish, and call it good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store