I wants a gourami!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishN0OB

AC Members
Sep 19, 2011
Honey/dwarf gourami 4 my tank? I have the right pH and hardness(both low) but r they hardy? My tank has .25 ammonia as of last night. I was surprised that petland had good specimens. They Were mostly dwarf/honey which can fit in my 10 gal. BTW my tank is almost done cycling w my 3 neons and ammonia has gone down. U think it will keep going down and I should do a water change prior to getting new fish?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
A honey or two would do fine. I've never been a fan of dwarfs, mainly because my experience with them is that they are fragile and sickly...but that will very depending on the source.

I strongly suggest waiting until you "complete" your cycle before adding any more fish. Also keep in mind that with a fish cycle the bacteria can only handle what is currently being produced, so adding more bioload via fish is essentially going to extend the cycle until you are finished stocking.

A couple more neons would be about all else I would eventually add.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
Dwarf gourami's aren't as hardy as honies ad they are man-made. Having said that I had a red dwarf gourami for a year, and read somewhere they are slightly hardier than the powder varient. Personally the honey gourami would be a better choice.

With stocking I would not get two males, as generally its not recommended. So I would go for a male and female, you never know, they might pair up and breed! I would still leave the tank until you have 0 ammonia though, so wait a week or two before before getting them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store